View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM

S.Gecko Woo who?
Re: Chronicle of Geckos: Epic Battles of Father and Son

Battle Report 2: 9/25-2009

My son and I are playtesting a new map that will hopefully become part of our Yggdrasil series. At this point, it's still in the development stage but we figured we'd give it a try.

Map: Broken Bridges

It's a narrow map meant to slow progression forward and lead to a focus on the bridge battle. There are ways to trick your opponent and slow them on the bridge, however. After playing this, it became apparent that the initial placement and order in which you move your units is key. It took us about three rounds until there was solid engagement.

Him (an even split between heavy melee and range with some nice synergies):
4th Massachusetts Line
Blastatrons
Gladiatrons
Krav Maga Agents
Marro Warriors
Me-Burq-Sa
Tarn Viking Warriors
Theracus

Me (Orcs!):
Arrow Gruts
Blade Gruts
Heavy Gruts
Grimnak
Krug
Ornak

Rounds 1 - 3
These rounds were used for initial placement and jockeying for position. By the end of round three, the field was set for the ensuing battles. His Krav Maga agents were on a mesa next to the bridge upon which I was advancing Krug. He had air-lifted a Marro Warrior to his end of the bridge with Theracus and was picking off my Arrow Gruts.

Additionally, he had moved his Blastatrons to the other side of the bridge and looked like he was planning on pinning me in some crossfire and/or picking off my orc army.

Round 4
He took out an Arrow Grut with his Marro Warrior and I advanced Krug to engage Theracus but failed to hit him.

Meanwhile, his Krav Maga were getting attack bonuses on the higher ground next to the bridge, and the Blastatrons were advancing and bringing the Gladiatrons and the rest of the army with them. Advancing Grimnak using synergies with Ornak, Heavy Gruts and the Blade Gruts, I chomped and smashed my way through the Krav Maga agents on my left flank leaving only one standing upon the mesa.

I left the rest of my orc army on my side of the bridge while Grimnak continued over the rise towards the rest of his army causing mass confusion.

Round 5
At the beginning of this round, my son finally halted Grimnak's destructive march. By the end, though, the dinosaur-riding orc had removed the Tarn Vikings, two Krav Maga, two 4th Massachusetts Line, and a Marro Warrior. Krug had also destroyed Theracus and had jumped down the other side of the bridge to engage the blastatrons lest they pick off my orcs in the back.

With the destruction of Grimnak came need for a tactical adjustment: make Krug angry.

Round 6
Using synergies from the last Arrow Grut and Ornak, I wove Krug up and over the terrain at his end of the bridge and smashed the last Krav Maga and Tarn Viking. He regenerated his Marro Warriors and dispatched Krug with a Gladiatron attack.

Round 7
At this point, I still had Ornak and all eight Heavy and Blade Gruts. I advanced them over the bridge towards his tattered army: a Marro Warrior, a few Gladiatrons, and a 4th Massachusetts Line.

The last thing the Marro Warrior saw was a squad of blue-skinned demons rush towards him.

That round ended it, with the party of Orcs surrounding his last Marro Warrior and celebrating on the rise by the bridge.

What we Learned
I was able to win because I was more tactically astute in this game. Had my son gotten his 4th Massachusetts Line in position at the top of his side of the bridge, I wouldn't have stood a chance. Like I said in the beginning, the map rewards early strategic placement and gives little room for correction after the first couple of rounds: it just takes too long to reposition.

That said, we liked playing the terrain and will think about ways to make a more age-agnostic version of it for future use. We also need to make some adjustments that allow quicker engagement.

In the meantime, feel free to try it out yourself -- http://www.onegecko.com/public/heros...en_Bridges.pdf -- and let me know what you think.

- sG

Last edited by S.Gecko; September 26th, 2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Typos, Grammar