View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:17 PM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker
Re: VVildeyedjokers Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Hey @vvildeyedjoker , you've got some good stuff in here, especially for your first few maps! I did want to stop in and give you a little feedback on the one you're working on for the contest.

First and most importantly: the jungle bushes are placed illegally on the map. The rulebook says that each bush must be connected to other hexes on at least two sides, and the most you have is one on the ones by the road. That's something you'll have to address before submission.

Other than that, the map looks pretty good for a first draft, though there are a couple issues that stand out to me. First, you have a lot of the highest ground on the map right next to the glyphs. This is usually something to avoid as it will draw attention only to that part of the map and make the glyphs too easy for an army to hold, and I think that's the case here. I wouldn't go for any other spot on the map when I can have great defensive high ground while also controlling the glyph at the same time (especially Attack +1, which is one of the strongest glyphs in the game). You also have jungle next to/on the highest ground on the map at those center locations as well as the outlying high hills. Competitively, you'll usually want to avoid this as well, as the high ground already gets an attack and defense bonus - you don't need to double the defense bonus for them. I do like the overall idea of the map, though, and it (along with your other maps) has some great aesthetic value going for it. I think with some work it could turn into a really good entry!
Thank you soooo much for the feedback. That was way more than i was hoping for. I will take your suggestions very seriously. I seldom use the jungle pieces and will definitely need to brush up on the rulings. Again thanks for the feedback. Im working on another idea right now and will also put some more work on this map.

EDIT: Links should be updated now.

OK I think I addressed what you pointed out and changed a few other things around.

I took the height around the glyphs and spread it out to the outer parts of the map. Doing that killed two birds so to say. Now the height around the glyphs is even and it also allowed me to add a little flavor to the outside (and cover the illegal jungle thing.)

The jungle on the outside is intended to give players a way to move around the map without being dominated by range holding the glyphs. The jungle in the center is intended to help defend or assault the glyph. I also added a little step-up to the 7 hex on each side of the map (now the highest points on the map) making the option of moving that way a little bit more rewarding.

Again thank you so much for the feedback. I'm new to competitive Heroscape in general (Always played the big map scenarios) and the help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; May 9th, 2017 at 11:45 PM.