View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:10 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
Dear Mr. Van Ness,

I would seriously like to apply to work at Hasbro -- any tips on getting chosen for an interview and landing the job? How did you get yours?

It seems tough now to get a job there because they require a degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Advertising, Marketing, etc. and a lot of "toy-packaging" related experience, which is hard to come by without working there already. Are there "entry-level" spots?

HeroScape is my favorite game ever. Thank you for all you have done.

-Burny
BurnyFlame,
Shortly after graduating college, I started freelance inventing and illustrating. I have a degree in Illustration. I connected with a toy rep out of NYC, called SevenTowns. I designed 12 games in a 2 year span. Some strategy, some mass market, at the same time I was also illustrating. Jeff and I worked together on those games.

When I heard about an opening at MiltonBradley (Hasbro), I applied. I brought 8 completed games to my interview, all of which I illustrated. Mike Gray hired me and I learned so much from him.

Hasbro likes to hire game designers that can create things visually, in 3D or 2D. There have been exceptions, Rob Davaiu was one of those exceptions.

You should just start making games. You'll know if you create something that is fun.