View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Welcome to the ARV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
I can't speak for the ARV, but as a map designer, I've asked myself, what purpose does this rule serve regarding the two issues you've brought up – the jungle pieces, and the wall sections.

The jungle pieces have a very practical reason for needing to be attached to two hexes. If not, they tip over and move when you try to place figures next to them.

The castle walls don't seem to be as apparent. I'm guessing the designers wanted ...

In other words, I think the designers were trying ...
Hey, as a former member of the C3V, I have been involved in many discussions about what the designers wanted, and what they were trying to do. And, in the end, it always just comes down to whatever we wish were true ... I say that it's MORONIC that you can give a PLAGUE to a DOOR, so of course I argue that the designers never intended that particular interaction. And, if you come to my house for a game, you absolutely will not be giving the plague to MY castle door. But, if we're in a tournament, then I have to let you do it. Because those are the rules. Maybe I'm right and the designers never wanted that to work, never meant for it to work, and in fact are constantly lying awake at nights kicking themselves over allowing it to work, but the rules are clear, and the designers had plenty of opportunity to change them if they'd really really wanted to. They didn't. So we're stuck with it.

I'm sure I don't need to belabor the parallels to the uncapped castle wall situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
... otherwise you'd basically be removing Castle pillars entirely as a playable terrain piece.
Well, I wouldn't look at it that way. You're not removing anything. The designers did that when they made the rules. LIS above: they didn't have to make the rules that way. But they did. So there you are. Anyhow, there's all sorts of reasons why castle sets don't get much play in tourney maps: the walls are too tall, the doors are a giant PITA, etc. Again, that's not really a thing you or I or anyone is doing: that's just the way tourney maps work. Personally, I think tourney maps are boring and wish we didn't have to use them. But, if you're specifically doing a tourney ... well, you don't have but so many options.

Quote:
If that doesn't fly with you and your group, I can't say there's much to be done about it other than to make sure to check out the other maps we've got posted as there are still other really great maps.
Oh, absolutely. We used 2 last year, and we'll use another 2 this year.

Quote:
In regards to the uploading of links and images @Xotli ....I agree. I've been meaning to do that and have kept forgetting to make that a priority. I have the means, I'll just need to take that project upon myself to locally host all those downloads here on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V