View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:21 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Guide for newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I know @dok posted a starter guide at one point. Not sure where that is exactly though.
Here it is; bear in mind this is over 5 years old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
My stock advice follows. Skip the stuff you already have.

In order from high priority to low:
1) Buy 1 Marvel Set, 1 D&D set, 1 Swarm of the Marro set, and 1 Fortress of the Archkyrie Set. All of these can still be found at or below retail price from numerous vendors. You can get all four for under $100 total on Amazon. That will give you enough terrain to build plenty of good maps, plus enough figures to play home games.

2) Go to Auggies Games and buy singles of the Rise of the Valkyrie uniques. The RotV set is very expensive, but you only need 1 each of the figures, and they aren't very expensive at all.

While you're there, buy a Fen Hydra or two, a couple extra squads of Marrden Nagrubs, and four or five extra squads of Marro Stingers. Dirt cheap and well worth it. At this point you have enough figures to field highly competitive armies in any setting.

3) Next up would be every widely available unique/uncommon pack - that's (in order of how much I'd want them) D2, wave 1, D3, D1, the D3 uncommon pack, the elves, and the wave 8 uniques. As you can see, all of those are very affordable. I'd also consider adding Orm's Return for some extra large figure goodies.

4) After that it's just a question of which common squads/packs you want to bulk up on. I highly recommend adding a few packs of Warriors and Soulborgs. Romans, Phantom Knights, Greenscale Warriors, Goblins, Deathchasers, Warforged, Mezzodemons, Horned Skull Brutes, and Blade Gruts are all popular and available choices. Even if you don't buy the packs, though, it's worth going over to Auggie's and buying one of some of the included uncommons.
So, there you go - a fun, varied, competitive Heroscape collection for well under $200. Enjoy!