View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Sporkthesloth is surprisingly tart
Re: Craigslist Deals

Just wanted to let everyone know I picked up:

Milton Bradley HeroScape Games and Expansion Sets - $175 (Hershey, PA) [Alot!]

For those of you unsure of whether Craigslist is worth the gamble, here is a short review:

I picked this set up this past Friday after finding the ad on Friday morning. I emailed the seller about the condition and he claimed everything was in great condition and they have been played with less than ten times. I was pretty excited about this since it claimed to have:

1 Lava set
1 castle set
2 ROTV
1SOTM
5 Flag Bearers
1 MARVEL
and 2x Orm's Return

Despite being an hours drive away, I figured it was worth my time.

When I got there I found the seller to be a rather unfriendly teenager, who doesn't know the meaning of "great condition." I'll agree that the figures were probably only played with a couple of times, but he stored all of them in two gallon ziplocks. This left most of them very bent and disfigured, and one of the Sir Gilbert's that was included was missing his flag. They also threw all of the pieces in random boxes, with no particular organization. There were even tiles in the flagbearer boxes (although all of the boxes WERE there). The boxes also had considerable damage (including a large sticky whit stain on the Lava set.... *shudder*) Things were so disorganized and poorly packed it was impossible for me to take inventory to see if everything was accounted for, but I hoped for the best and paid the guy 175 in cash.

Once I got home I took inventory and counted everything out, here were the pros and cons of the purchase:

Cons:
-Some missing pieces like a few wound markers, 1 water tile, a ladder piece and a one hex grass tile.
- Missing a Charos Card.
-Damage to some of the pieces including a broken flagbearer, a 4th Massachusetts that had his hat removed (Why!?), and lots of bent pieces.

Pros:
-The lava set was in perfect condition
-one of the ROTV was a first edition with red and blue dice and Sparkly water
-There were nine small booster pack figures in the lot as well, that was not posted on the craiglist ad, including some wave 4 figs like aubrien archers and gladiatrons. It also included the small booster terrain
-All figures and tiles were there except for the few things listed in cons.

Overall, I would say it is a great purchase. There were a few missing pieces and some of the figures were pretty badly bent, but I got a ton of pieces and figures (PLUS NINE unexpected boosters!) for only 175$. Craigslist is worth the venture if your looking for a bulk lot of figures and terrain but don't expect the figures and pieces to be in "perfect condition" regardless of what the ad says.

Good luck finding your own Craigslist steals!