View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2019, 10:23 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Leyline Phantoms) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
1. If we're want to emphasize a dimensional/teleportation theme, Phantom Walk isn't going to get us there. Astroking's explanation for why is, to my mind, more or less sufficient here, and I agree with it.
I do want to point out that it's not difficult to make work with Phase Grab, but that's fair. I love the simplicity of a unit with just Phantom Walk/Stealth Dodge, but that might not be the right theme fit here.

Quote:
2. Abandoning the Phase Grab direction should not default us to the Telefrag direction. For one, Telefrag as written is too strong in that it provides 3 ranged attacks of 4 which can be used against the same or different targets. Additionally, the theme of Telefrag is too niche for my tastes, as a reference to old-school twitch shooters and a very specific usage of teleportation. I could see a design where that is appropriate, but I don't believe that's here for this Master Set.
I would absolutely be against Telefrag as laid out (5R/4A). It's just way too strong. At the very least the Attack would have to drop to 3 (otherwise even with 4A normally you'd just Telefrag adjacent figures to get around defensive powers and move if you fail).

Quote:
Phase Grab could still be workable if we restrict it to opponent's figures and testing proves it to be tactically interesting. But it doesn't, or if we don't want to go that direction, we don't have to come to an ultimatum here. We're in no hurry, and we can always continue to brainstorm additional powers to convey our intended theme that have yet to come up. In my mind, that's the decision we're at here, not a make-or-break choice between two different directions.
I think part of the problem is that while Blink, Phase Grab, and Stealth Dodge are all thematically appropriate, they don't necessarily make the best package together.

How about this?

4 Move
1 Range
4 Attack
3 Defense

BLINK
Before moving, you may place a SPOOKY ALIEN on an empty space within 2 clear sight spaces. It will not take leaving engagement attacks while Blinking.

PHASED OUT
SPOOKY ALIENS have no visible hit zones while there are no revealed OMs on this card.

Both of these really get the theme across of them moving between dimensions. And both make them a solid anti-Range unit: can't be targeted and can disengage to get behind screens. 4 Move helps balance out Blink-before-moving. And both powers are short and straightforward.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13