View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I think the game was originally designed to be either... as any good expandable game should be. And though I've played many a battle on huge fields up to 4X8 feet in size, I mostly prefer smaller skirmishes on 1 or 2 MS size fields with around 400 - 550 sized armies.

The smaller battles allow for more games to be played... If I have a few hours free time play HS, I'd rather get in 3 or 4 games on a smaller map than one game on a bigger map with larger armies.

Plus, smaller maps allow melee units to be on more equal footing with ranged units. On the huge battlefields, melee typically is overwhelmed by the looooong marches trying to get adjacent to the ranged units running around. For example, Minions are AWESOME on 1MS + Exp sized battlefields... whereas they are simply too slow to engage the enemy on 4+MS sized fields.

Also, with smaller, quicker battles, it's easier to be more creative with army builds and take chances on less-used figures... because if you build a fun, but not necessarily competitive army, and get whomped by your opponent,... well, who cares? It was a fun battle, and now we have time left for another 2 or 3 battles where I can choose a different army type.

That being said, I still love the multiplayer huge games (again, this game is versatile in that respect), but overall I prefer the smaller, quicker engagements that allow time for more games to be played... an hour a game, for example, is just about perfect.

IMHO

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson