View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:56 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Alien Invitational by Chas

Chas Comments

Game 1: Kolakoski, who came in closest to me, immediately offered me an alliance, which I accepted, and the other two then teamed up--all teams being theoretically temporary, but in this game lasting the entire length of the game. I was jumped immediately by Taeblewalker, who messed up my whole tactical deployment by forcing my ranged army to fight hand to hand. Kolakoski, who sent some help to me while fighting Sherman Davies on his own front, took away most of my kills by getting the final hits on them. I killed only Blue Lantern, ironically by Halo (the anti Lantern), who did it without him finding out about her powers until later.

Game 2: This time, anticipating TWs tactics, I set up Red Tornado near two lava hexes. Using his power, I proceded to keep dumping TWs team members into the lava. Although using my own Varient Molten Lava Rules which give a much greater spectrum of results, TW rolled incredibly badly, and died almost as soon as if we were using standard lava rules! I wiped out his entire team except for Groot. TW managed to keep the big tree in the game, with an assist from SD's Power Girl, but I got the points for her as well. Unable to kill Groot, I still ran away with the game on points.

Game 3: I came in mostly in an area away from the others, who seemed to be all fighting each other on the opposite end of the board. Since SD brought in Hercules all by himself near me, I planned to get his juicy points as a start. But although Mon-El hurt him badly initially, he was to last a long, long time.

I brought in a fast moving carrier, Dawnstar carrying Wyldfire, and scooped up both glyphs which Forge dropped and pulled back with them. As three teams had mutants, I expected they would be useful to me, but I never got to use them. I was too far from the main action to get back to it.

Finally SDs Nightcrawler teleported in with K's Scarleet Spider, who robbed me, getting Herc after I'd put all his wounds on him except one. This was a recurring theme in all my games, as I did lots of damage but was often unable to complete the defeat of my targets!

General Comments:

1. This was a particularly fun day, and everyone wanted to complete all three games, which we did. I'd be very interested in any player comments on the map, the scenario, and the Alien Entry Rules, etc. as I was the Game Master this time around and they were my creations. The concept of providing all three teams ahead of time, but rolling for them to enter each game randomly seemed to work very well, and allow us to complete all three games with no time lost for building teams between the games.

2. The vast array of mostly unfamiliar Good Supers meant that folks who waded into the enemy without reading the defenders cards were in for some nastly shocks.

3. K. managed to use lower points unusual heroes to fight off much more powerful beings very well, such as Daredevil and Scarlet Spider.

4.. Happy Birthday Sherman Davies!

(To Be Continued After Further Reflection)

5. I got to run a number of my own custom Supers, some for the first time against live opponents, which was great (see my team lists). No one asked that they be revised, although we did discuss a couple of points about them.

6. We revised Tomar Re's (by Fatsnack) recovery of markers power down: instead of 50% to recover one or two markers, we made it 50% to get zero or one.

7. Checking out the Green Lantern Corps team synergies among several different designers' work, a C3G Green Construct, and my own "anti-Lantern" (Halo) was also very interesting.

Last edited by chas; February 5th, 2015 at 03:22 PM.