View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2020, 01:38 PM

scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby! scapedood rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapedood View Post
PSA: (disappointment ahead)
Was super happy with the work WhiteKnight had done using Photogrammetry, but I wanted to see if a proper laser scanner would improve the work further; so, I bought a Sol 3D Scanner. The Sol claimed to have detail resolution up to 0.1mm, but after trying for 2 days, I can say that this product is lie.

Here is a picture showing the difference between a 3 pass through scan vs one of WhiteKnight's models captured with photogrammetry.

SOL vs Photogrammetry Comparison

Supposed to be 0.1mm resolution, can't even distinguish 1mm hole in the gun of the marrow warrior that I did.

Just wanted to share so no one goes through the hassle, i'm trying to return it.
Wow, for that cost I'd expect a lot better... Thank you so much for doing this comparison!

Are you sure you have it set to the highest resolution, in both the scanner and in the software to crunch the data and create the model?

3DF Zephyr has an Ultra mode that doesn't show up in the regular menu--you have to go into options and enable it.
I worked with customer service to make sure I was doing everything that I was supposed to; I used the tent that came with it to block out everything, I used it in "near mode" and I scanned it in 3 different positions. I tried this roman, a marrow warrior and a couple others. It was a real disappointment.

It's actually a very user friendly device, just doesn't deliver on output quality.