View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:16 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Comics: what are you currently reading?

Congratulations on a great thread idea! Let's give it the send off it deserves:

1. SUPERMAN: THE HIGH FLYING HISTORY OF AMERICA'S MOST ENDURING HERO by Larry Tye (Nonfiction prose). The history of everything Superman from 1938-2012. I saw the author present at the Superman At 75 celebration here in NYC this year, and he did a fine job. The book is a great read, for young and old.

2. X-MEN: SEASON ONE by Dennis Hopeless and Jamie McKelvie (Graphic Novel) A nice retelling of the original, with adventure, romance, and fun. "You fixed him, didn't you?" --Warren to Jean re: Scott.

3. CORTO MALTESE: THE BALLAD OF THE SALT SEA by Hugo Pratt (The very first Graphic Novel of many; translated into English) The most famous European comic hero, a nautical Indiana Jones of World War I, by the amazing Venetian Jewish author whose life was almost as colorful. When I was in Venice not long ago, I hung out reading his adventures in the Corto Maltese Lounge of my hotel, with Corto's naval uniform coat draped nearby, as if he had just dropped in. My first CM was purchased in Nice in French years before, and the Lounge held all of his adventures in Italian. I almost forgot to see the city!

4. OH MY GODDESS by Kosuke Fujishima (Ah Megamisama! Book 43: Chapters 269-275) In the latest installment of the longest running Japanese Manga published in the USA, the Norse Norn Goddesses Urd (Past), Belldandy (Present), and Skuld (Future), along with the mortal who loves at least one of them, are harrowing the Underworld, to restore the rule of its demonic former CEO (Urd's Mom). Super cute for the child in all of us, and philosophical/mystical as heck; it spawned a movie and two TV seasons--so far. There goes my street cred...

5. RICHARD WAGNER'S THE RING OF THE NIBELUNG: THE COMPLETE GRAPHIC NOVEL by Roy Thomas and Gil Kane with Jim Woodring (1991) In this, one of the greatest works of visual art ever created, two of the old masters tackle literature and pin it to the ground. An astounding re-read, especially if you are studying the operas, as I am right now. Pow!

Last edited by chas; May 1st, 2013 at 05:58 AM.