View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2019, 09:34 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Z'Thoth, Mouth of the Abyss Public Playtesting

(Same test as one posted in CotDS thread, unit-specific comments below).
Map: Ruins of Rennoc
Glyph: Gerda

Army 1: CotDS x5, Z'Thoth (440)
Army 2: Microcorp Troopers x4, Kaemon Awa (440)

Final: Outsiders win with 4 Children and 4 life Z'Thoth remaining.

Game Summary: The Children massed along the left while Z'Thoth approached from the right. The Microcorp's shots weren't terribly effective at slowing down the Children, who were able to rush into engagements early and often. The Three turns of 4 followed by 2 turns of 5 in rounds 2 and 3 were particularly brutal, and ended with the Children occupying Gerda with the Microcorp fairly well thinned out. 6 move was very useful in accomplishing this and a lot of 2-shield defense rolls helped as well.

Afterwards, Z'Thoth saw most of the action, apart from a single OM used to send the Children towards Kaemon. Maddening Visage was incredibly useful in their skirmish, forcing Kaemon to defend from low ground against the two attacks that killed him. Plenty of times, it would have caused either a bad position or an LEA even on a roll of 1-10, but apart from a fairly inconsequential usage in round 1 Z'Thoth rolled 11+ every time. Spirits of the Void was never used or needed.

Unit Summary: Maddening Visage 4/5 (forced an LEA microcorp kill, moved Kaemon into an extra engagement and next to high ground, forced Kaemon LEA, moved Kaemon to low ground.)

Shatter Minds: 1 Microcorp.

Total Damage: 4 Microcorp, 4 wounds Kaemon.

Thoughts: I was initially concerned that 2 turns with the Children and 1 turn with Z'Thoth would just be worse than 3 turns with the Children. Sometimes that felt true, but it's close enough that it's an interesting tactical choice to make. Ultimately, it feels appropriate that the Eldritch Horror monster affects the game more by its presence and underlings than by directly taking turns and wrecking shop in the early and mid game. I mostly used him in the endgame after the Children were thinned out, but still present enough that they gave Maddening Visage plenty of options.

"Inscrutable" strikes me as a fitting personality for the unit but not really the general. I'd kind of prefer the unique Outsiders to be more varied in general as opposed to all following Valkrill, as Otherworldly Stench seems to imply that they will. Eldritch horrors all being loyal to the same general seems a little odd to me.

Arena of the Valkyries
All Your Pie is Sudema...
in THE MYCELOID MANOR