Thread: Workshop Thread
View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Workshop Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
I'm going to second Sir H here on Halcyon and vote . The map design is creative - it's a very unique way to use the terrain. LOS blockers seem to be used pretty well. However, it feels problematic with all the level 0 terrain in the middle of the board - especially with Wannok in the middle. I don't think the map needs an extensive overhaul, but I am worried about the placement of Wannok and the abundance of level 0 terrain in the middle - it feels like a death trap for melee units.
I'm curious if you would have the same feedback for Embattled Fen, which inspired this map?
The answer is definitely yes. I realize that my opinion on that map may not be popular, but I've never liked it very much for a few reasons - not just the dip in the middle. Though there is a significant difference between it and Halcyon that is important to my feedback. That is the use of road on the map - it gives melee units an opportunity to approach faster and on relatively higher ground.

There are things about your map that I like more than embattled fen. I like your use of LOS blockers - I think they increase the strategic value of the map and make it more balanced.
LoS blockers can be overrated when it comes to how range-friendly or melee-friendly a map is.

One often overlooked thing that keeps Embattled Fen from being too range-friendly is the almost complete lack of intermediate height. There's almost zero opportunities for a ranged figure to shoot down on an approaching melee figure, unless that ranged figure has reached the absolute center of the map. This makes the map reasonably melee-friendly despite the near-complete lack of LoS blockers.

Just to compare two popular BoV maps, I would consider Fossil to be more range-friendly (or less melee-friendly) than Embattled Fen, despite many more LoS blockers, because Fossil gives a ranged army the opportunity to shoot down on approaching figures a lot more often than Embattled Fen does. Even Fulcrum, with its jungle terrain, is not really much more melee friendly than Embattled Fen.