View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygnarl View Post
Nope. I'd go Cathar x4 or 10th x4. Mixing just doesn't work.
Really? I think that would be a rather good build. It reminds me of the following build of which I've done quite well with:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

Total: 460

I've played about a dozen games with that army and I've only lost once.
The argument I see against using a tough melee screen with redcoats is that the redcoats can function as their own melee force, quite effectively. Thus, trying to protect an able-bodied force means you waste points on unnecessary figures and don't get enough Brits.

I would try Cathars with anti-range units. Allowing the spearmen to go toe-to-toe with melee is likely key to their success against tough armies.

Cathar Spearmen x3- 225
Krav Maga Agents- 100
Marcus Decimus Gallus- 100
Marcu Esenwein- 20
Marro Warriors- 50
500 points, 21 hexes

Send the Krav after the ranged units, then move the Cathar in to deal with the melee squads.
The thing is both these armies are order marker nightmares. You've got plenty of places to put markers on both armies thus they have to be spread out. An army with fewer cards would completely wipe the floor on these.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist