View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2018, 04:11 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Splash!

Spoiler Alert!

Bread AND Butter

Spoiler Alert!
I think there's a bit of a continuum between these two styles, at least given the way I think about them. When I think about the armies I make that you're classing as "Bread AND Butter", I'm thinking not just as "melee and range", but more as "let me have figures with interacting roles such that there are at least two places to put OMs during the meat of the game, and force the player to make good decisions on pingponging between the two". Which, granted, you summarized nicely in your description. But I think this sort of thinking is similar (not the same, but similar) to the splash concept of "add complexity to the build by forcing the player to manage a bunch of small pieces".

Really, when you compare Q23's 2014 army or even vegiedad's 2017 army to my 2016 army, the main difference is that my ranged squad has multiples. It's really not night and day. When you look at something like Q23's 2017 or 2018 builds there's additional stuff thrown in that doesn't have as clear a role; it's more adding complexity for the sake of making it harder to pilot. But, as I said at the start, it's a continuum.

I guess you could even extend it past that, and say there's a spectrum from "Uniques Mostly" to "Bread AND Butter", with "Splash" in the middle.

Last edited by dok; August 17th, 2018 at 04:40 PM.