View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhydderch
Hey Annerios: I had tried to post earlier but the school computer did not let me. Anyway I'll write a shorter version of what I wrote before =P

I'm personally not familiar with Vampire Nation but I like the units' abilities. The Stun Baton is a nice ability for a common hero and I like smoke grenade. My only concern would be how you know whether the smoke screen blocks line of site since you have three dimensional space. So for instance one might wonder how many height levels above the space the screen affects, or a player might claim he can see a figure from the side of the screen and no one would really be able to prove him/her wrong. Maybe you could design a smoke screen figure =P

I did like that smoke grenade chooses a "space" instead of a figure. I have a few abilities that also do that so its cool to see someone else come up with that mechanic independently, even though its a natural one. One of my abilities basically prevents a figure on the space from attacking or using any abilities that require line of sight - kind of like a smoke screen that only affects figures on the space.

Anyway good job again and I'm definitely happy to see your custom post up. I'll have to get to work on posting my own customs now that heroscapers is definitively the new heroscape site. =)
I'm glad I salvaged some of the posts about your units we were discussing before HQ got shut down. You have some cool ideas in there, especially with those aquatic abilities I'm gonna have to borrow!

You have to get those ideas (and photos) up when you can, so other people here can enjoy your work.

There is a 3-D object to use for the smoke. I need to post a photo of it in use. All you really need is some pillow stuffing (since is it easier to shape than cotton) and a base to mount it on so it does not fly away.

It is like a small column of smoke that works like a tree. It definitely blocks LOS. It would be useful to throw on a single span bridge, for example.

I did not include any rules in there for it dissipating, because I figure each HS round is probably between 15-25 seconds of "real" time (this is something, like keeping track of ammo, that is just not in the scope of a simplified game like this) so it would be ok for the smoke to just sit there during the battle.

I have run some playtesting scenarios with these, but no one else has played them yet, They'll probably get used in our next game.
When I have new customs to test, I always have them in a separate pile that players have to pick at least one unit from during the draft.

There is another thread Lilnewbie started up involving these acrylic fire pieces that would be great to use for a similar mechanic. I have some homemade fire markers I use, but those acrylic ones are great. You may want to check out that thread.