View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker
Re: Pirate Set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Actually, a lot of people want pirates, so the subject comes up from time to time.

But I don't think we should be too optimistic about the idea, because...

- Pirates need a boat.
- The boat would have to be somewhat large.
- So then, take the number of hexes you think would be an adequate size for the boat, then try to figure out how you could possibly turn.

Going straight is easy, turning is pretty much out of the question.
Turning may be difficult, but given the option, I think the design team could work something out. Perhaps the boat is only 8 hexes large? It may only hold 3 figures, but it might be easier for it to turn. There's also the option of several smaller boats only 2 or 3 hexes large.
I don't mean to squash your dream, I think most of us would like to see pirates, but seriously what I was saying above isn't a thought exercise, lay out a big flat plain of hexes, call that the water. Now put your "boat" (another bunch of tiles) on the water and actually see how much of a problem turning really is. Even with just a 3 hex figure the movement rules get complicated really fast. This isn't to say rules can't be developed, but they would be clunky at best.

And I doubt anyone is going to get really excited about epic pirate battles in rowboats.

I have a small box of awesome minis from other games that I would love to make into HS customs but they would all take 3-5 hexes as their base. I've been down this road and it just doesn't work as easily as you might think.

My custom Terrain and Units.

My HS pics