View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2021, 11:10 AM

Chris Perkins wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chris Perkins wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chris Perkins wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chris Perkins wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chris Perkins wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chris Perkins wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chris Perkins wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: ScapeCon Vaccines

I believe today's news regarding the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is relevant for this discussion, so I wanted to point out how it could potentially impact vaccine availability.

Quick summary: the CDC & FDA pulled the J&J vaccine from the federal supply (and suggested each state do the same) to study the potential rare side effect of blood clots.

I don't intend to speak to any scientific details about the vaccine itself or side effects (I'm not qualified); instead I just want to highlight a potential way it could affect how many people are able to be vaccinated in time, as several people's replies on this thread have been based on the government's previous vaccine timeline.

My understanding of the federal government's timeline/goal of having enough vaccines to have ~ 260 million American's vaccinated by the end of May (1st shots from Moderna/Pfizer, at least) is that is was based on the assumption of having ~ 100 million J&J vaccine doses.

Obviously I have no idea how long the J&J vaccine will be out of use for, but if it's delayed for 2+ weeks and we end up relying on extra production from Moderna/Pfizer, 2+ weeks from the end of May is June 14th, which is the date I had outlined earlier when you would need to get your 1st Moderna/Pfizer shot in order to be 'fully' vaccinated by ScapeCon.

This also goes to another question that has been asked before on this thread: if there's a vaccine mandate for ScapeCon, does that mean requiring being fully vaccinated, having a 1st shot, or somewhere in between? If it's the former, then today's news is less likely to impact anyone (increased Moderna/Pfizer production is likely to get you a 1st shot by then). If it's the latter, then the chance of someone getting impacted (i.e. not being able to get a vaccine because of distribution issues) is higher.

Just food for thought.