View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Question (Vic Sage) – Breathing Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemage View Post
I agree with being wary of auto-succeeds on powers like this, however there are a few out there. Here is Rorschach, who as a character was based on Question, with an infallible Order Marker removal power. This one does allow the defender a choice and has a reasonable restriction against Super Strength. Contrary to that, as you mentioned, Question must sacrifice his move to get an auto-success, meaning he'll have to be already adjacent to the target. Considering it's also once-per-round, the counterplay can come with the opponent knowing who Question is near and choosing not to place Order Markers on those cards at all.
My issue with an auto-succeed power here would be less the balance issues of automatic success (they can actually be worked out quite easily, and I do like auto-succeed powers sometimes), it's a thematic issue that it eliminates the factor of human fallibility. If you look at any crime drama, detective show or book etc., there are times when the detective is stumped, when they don't know what's going on - they aren't omniscient entities who see what's happening ala Doctor Manhattan, they have to work it out and find clues, and sometimes they just can't, or it's misleading. Even Sherlock Holmes is stumped at times! That said, being once per round, instead of moving and requiring engagement I still think is enough to mitigate that issue, I just think we should be wary, now and in future, about including detective powers that don't have an element of chance to whether you can work things out or not - my Mum and I designed a Sherlock Holmes figure way back, and he can view up to three of your opponent's Order Markers at the start of any round, but he needs an 8+ (that can be boosted through other figures) in order to see anything - that's the sort of thing I'm talking about, thematically.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================