View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2019, 01:30 AM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Blazing Firecats) - Design

Color scheme doesn't 100% track general to general, but I think assigning these bright red burning cats to anyone but Utgar seems a little silly.

We've got a solid overall direction here but we're a little divided on the details. Here's some suggestions for what to put in the OP, let me know how these hit y'all.

(Unit name)
Utgar

Elementals (or some sort of made-up race? Sadly Arrow Gruts don't specify heroes for their bonding, so beasts is out of the question.)
Unique Squad
Hunters (mostly a placeholder. Seems a decent option but we can discuss others)
Wild (Feel a bit more solid about this than I do hunters, but still open to discussion)
Large ??

Life 1
Move ? (varies depending on inflame, between 5-8 )
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 5

Points ???

Power 1:
Inflame

Start the game with three blaze counters on this army card. Before moving, you may remove a blaze counter to add (move or attack buff). Optional condition 1: If there are no blaze counters on this army card, subtract X from this card's defense value. Optional condition 2: Something that allows blaze counters to be regained automatically.

(Personally, I like Inflame as a power that either just boosts attack or that grants a substantive move boost in addition to attack. If we do the movement boost, I would rather make it feel really significant by giving the cats base 5 move and having the move be +3 instead of +1. So I like having +3 move +1 attack, or just +1 attack and have a base move of 7 or 8.

I can take or leave optional condition 1. It's cute and adds some tension, but that's all. Optional condition 2 I don't personally care for. It adds another trigger and possibly a D20 roll to the power that overcomplicate it a little too much for my taste.)

Power 2:
Extinguish

Whenever a (figure name) ends its movement on a water space, remove all blaze counters from this army card. (Blaze counters may not be placed on this army card while any of your (figure name's) are on water spaces.)

(Relatively straightforward, mostly flavor here. This power's actual implications depend significantly on how other powers work, so it's not worth discussion much in and of itself.)

Power 3:
Heat Absorption

If a (figure name) would receive one or more wounds from a source that does not affect figures with the Lava Resistant special power, ignore those wounds and, if possible, place a blaze counter on this army card.

OR

Lava Resistant
Same as usual.

(Fairly simple choice here. I think heat absorption is kinda neat but won't come up too much in actual play. I worry slightly about it spiking their cost by making them much stronger on lava maps, which won't be present in this master set, but even then it's slow going to build their markers back up. Ultimately that's a good thing, as it means we can balance the design around them having just three markers to spend with Heat Absorption giving them a little more legs in longer games or scenarios rather than standard tournament play.)

Last edited by All Your Pie; July 5th, 2019 at 01:26 PM.