View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Room For Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
I generally agree with these points, although I'd quibble that you can drop below B+ in some tournament formats (especially the one kevindola ran that was literally nothing above B- ).

One of the biggest ways I improved my game was I watched players who were stronger than me play. It's not always easy to do since people might be limited by who they can actually watch, but online scape gave me a lot of opportunity to watch as players like kevindola or dok played and I could understand why they did what they did.

I also think on the other end of the odds fallacy is when your opponent gives you an opportunity to make a low odds attack and you don't really have a large opportunity cost you're giving up, go for it. I did this a lot the year I ran straight blasts.

I've also noticed that if I'm behind or in a bad matchup, I'll make riskier plays to take advantage in case the dice break my way. Conversely, if I'm favored or ahead, I'll play more conservatively (it's definitely hurt me in the past when I didn't do either of these)

Of course you may be going over those points soon. Solid read.

~Dysole, undefeated against OEAO (the power of statistics)
Good points on taking a low-odds attack without risk (as a melee player this doesn't really happen much for me) as well as playing differently depending on some circumstances.

And you're a strong player, I don't have a losing record against many people, and only a few of those have played more than a single game against me. Your 2-0 vs me is certainly impressive, although my play at GC 2017 was sloppy after a 2-year hiatus from the game.