View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:15 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Smurf along with me: la la la-la la la!

My primary project is the new theme for HSers, but I have some weekly time where I will have a laptop, but don't have Internet access, and working on the theme during that time is hard. Sounds like the perfect time to finally create cards for my light-hearted, but very real Smurf faction!

I want for these to fit on regular poker size playing cards, and while there are many, many existing playing card layouts for Heroscape, I felt like creating something fresh. I'm looking for feedback on what I've done and suggestions for finishing the design. Here's the current draft:

Mini is Schleich 20544, Mummy Smurf

And a quick attempt to make a more drawn/painted looking variant:

All advanced side info is present, but somewhat moved around. I think where everything goes is pretty obvious, but just to be sure, here is a Me-Burq-Sa card redone in this style, hopefully an improvement to the last MBS card I made.

Forgive the bad mini picture and weird shadow--I did this quickly, using a random ebay image

Questions:
1) General feedback. Do you find it attractive, functional?

2) I'm not too happy with the bottom left area. If you have suggestions on reworking, I'm all ears.

3) What icons should I use move Move/Range/Attack/Defense backgrounds. Just keep as-is? Keep in mind this is 1) for light-hearted comicy figures, and 2) the icons need to be "chunky" enough to fit the number inside of them. I think the bomb is a good nod to the light-heartedness, the shield less so. (I had a thought of perhaps going Looney Tunes and using the falling Acme anvil / pathetic umbrella icons for attack and defense.) If trying to be more tongue-in-cheek, I could also replace the smurf footprint with a snail or a turtle. Dunno.

I had difficulty coming up with an icon for range. The current one is somewhat ninja-throwing star and somewhat crosshairs. (An earlier draft had the M.R.A.D. icons in circles which made the crosshair feel a bit more present).

4) Legibility OK? How about in the species area? I tried to keep the text at least 7.5 points high.

5) Keep/axe the flavor text ("quote") area?

6) Perhaps move height down to the area above the unit cost? That puts all numerical info, other than life, at the bottom.

..and whatever else you think of. Thanks in advance for your help!

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK