View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Casters of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Just finished up the 2 hour episode, I enjoyed it. It’s very different for me to hear how you guys feel about certain units, and I suppose it mostly makes sense since you speak from a competitive/gencon experience, and I’ve only played scape with maybe 20 people total.

I’ve always loved the Feral Troll (let’s say that him, Syvarris, DW9K, and Zombies are my “pet” units that I typically just love regardless..) and from my experience with the troll, it is exactly as you guys say: he gets trashed by almost anything with multiple attacks, and he really only pulls his weight in hero only games, or in end game phase where there’s half squads or wounded heroes remaining on the map.

I know this unpopular opinion, and it’s my personal one, but I just hate Raelin (RotV anyway, SotM isn’t nearly as borked.) I 100% agree that she makes bad units usable, but she also makes so many high tier units even better/sturdier, and I feel that she is about as brain-dead easy to use as 4th Mass.

As far as ideas for content, here’s my two cents:

Go (maybe even in set/unit release order) over how you feel every unit in Heroscape can be best used and also how to best defeat/bypass them, maybe sticking strictly to rtw and prebuilt blind games. Perhaps in one episode, review the RotV set, and then in the next, review wave 1, and then 2, etc. Just an idea from me, and it is selfishly suggested because I feel like I would both be most interested in that content, and glean the most knowledge from it.

At the very least, it is a ton of content that can be produced, if the demand is there and you guys feel like supplying it.

Nice job, regardless!

Edit: Just remembered; constructive criticism - it sounds like somebody was breathing into their mic throughout that episode? Whatever it was, it wasn’t particularly pleasing to listen to. It’s minor issue that could probably easily be improved upon/fixed.
Wow, thanks so much for all this feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it, but we definitely have plenty to work on.

It's important to note that local metas vary, and the values of units often depend on what you play against (like in the case of the Feral Troll). If your local group runs a lot of heroes, he's pretty solid. If they spam commons like the 4th Mass and Stingers, he'll get destroyed. We will usually be talking in the context of A- level armies and better, and he just doesn't pull his weight against that tier.

Raelin is definitely stupid and easy to use. We like her impact on the RtW meta for allowing weird units and lower numbers of commons, but she's terrible for the game in standard double blind games.

I like your idea on going through the units, although we'll be doing it from the top of the power rankings down/families of units. The reason for this is that talking about units often depends on the other units you'll pair with them. Take Grimnak; talking about Grimnak by himself isn't very useful, as he should be bonding. I think it makes more sense to talk about the melee bonding Orcs family as a whole: ie, Heavies, Blades, and the Orc Champions.

I'm not sure who the breathing was, sounds like it might have been a couple of us who were using headphones with mics close to our faces. I'll have us try recording without headphones next time.

Thanks again!