View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:54 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Green Wyrmling by killercactus fills the Charos-sized hole in the wyrmling line-up. When I first looked over the card I wondered if 4/4 would be a better fledgling-izing of Charos' 5/5 than the 3/5 that they have, but I loved kc's adaptation of Counterstrike and was looking forward to testing this little guy.

It did not disappoint. Fledging Counterstrike performs excellently against most melee squads (in my tests they matched up pretty much point-for-point with Knights, Blades and Minions) but they definitely need some support when facing heroes or range. Expensive 3 attack melee squads suffer against them, but that is a small enough niche that I don't think that they're overpowered, even in a draft scenario. I think that 4/4 would probably have been able to inflict as much overall damage as 3/5, but with the higher defense it makes Counterstrike a serious consideration for attacking units, while having a competitive, but not gimmee, attack. I was concerned that Raelin bumping them up to 7 defense would be too much, but generally I'd rather have 3 more wyrmlings. They're basically a 2/3's power, common Izumi squad. They make a fantastic addition to beef up wyrmling armies, or really any army that wants a tough melee screen (4th love their Valiantness ).

To top off the mechanics, I had an absolute ball playing them. They have been one of my favorite units to playtest.

The numbers of their sculpt is on the low side, but I was able to find enough that I don't feel that it removes them from consideration.

I vote YES to induct killercactus' Green Wyrmling into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)