View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2021, 09:03 AM

AsTheRavensFly is surprisingly tart
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Death Knight bonding feels very odd; I would suggest an alternate personality like Wild, but that runs into the same issue with Dreadguls and runs the risk of making Ulf feel more like an Einar Viking than a Jandar one. Perhaps Reckless or Rebellious could work? There are probably many other options, but those are the first two that come to mind for me without carrying any worrisome synergies.

As a very minor mechanical suggestion, one of the things that I appreciate about HS "spear throwing" attacks is that they typically have 4 range, like the Teeth of the Makwa, Mezzodemons, or Greyspears. Some units conditionally boost this like the Achillean Gladiatrix or Master of the Hunt with Javelin, but they also have a base range of 4. Tightening in the range of the SA would help reinforce this aesthetic consistency and paint the figure as a primarily aggressive berserker who can't afford to stay too far back on the battlefield.

Scytale's suggestion for Berserker Rage clears up the mechanics a good deal, albeit there are some minor rules queries that I would have that I'm sure would get cleared up in Editing (mostly just weird stuff like ensuring that the boost doesn't stack and he still gets destroyed even if negated afterward).

More conceptually, I'm not a huge fan of how Berserker Rage and Impale kind of work against each other. The special attack isn't too shabby and will generally be the highlight of the design for the majority of the game, but the potential for one last stand inverts the focus to be a melee figure so long as he can reach the opponent. It's an interesting dynamic on paper, but I worry that the short-term nature of this switch, especially combined with the unreliable nature of Berserker Charge (similar to Javelin to a certain extent), might dilute the playstyle of the unit. I'd keep a careful eye on how that power dynamic plays and what interesting decisions it causes when playtesting.
I definitely was not picky about the left card. Reckless sounds good to me. I can bring the range of the SA down to 4 as well to align better with other figures.

I do concur with your concerns about the SA and the Berserker Rage. My thoughts on the matter was that as you were in the process of sending him into the fray he might be able to get an attack or two off before he got there. In my playtest I wanted to have him on the front lines. I was able to get him into range with the spear quickly and used it twice, once where the additional part of the ability was successful upon killing Quahon. I then sent him into melee combat with the elves and was able to do some good damage before they took him down.

Thanks for the feedback!