View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2021, 07:12 PM
Casing the Corners

toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Out-there Hell: C3G's Little Workshop of Horrors

I get the messaging, it's my favorite solo film (LOTR being my favorite film series). Happy it has so many fans here.
Not going to argue it's either horror or comedy, but not the other. If you think it's completely comedy, that's fine. Imdb labeled it as Crime, Drama and Horror, but not Comedy, which baffles me.
According to Wikipedia, it's a "black comedy slasher film."
According to Horror.fandom, it's a "satirical comedy psychological horror film."
According to Rotten Tomatoes, it's a "Horror/Comedy."

So much of horror is intertwined with comedy. Sometimes its slapstick, like Evil Dead 2, or cheesy/corny like F13th and NoES. Sometimes they're theme heavy, like NoES2 and coming-of-age/repressed homosexuality.

Of the slasher films represented in C3G, American Psycho might have most in common with Tobe Hooper's original Texas Chainsaw Massacre:
'“When we were talking about the film, Tobe always considered it a political allegory and comedy,” recalls cinematographer Daniel Pearl, as reported by Gus Hansen in the latter’s Chain Saw Confidential. Hooper echoed that point in commentary he recorded for Chain Saw a couple of decades after the film was made.

“This film kind of came out of the Watergate times,” says Hooper. “It was kind of inspired by it, in a lot of ways.”

Hooper’s collaborator Kim Henkel who co-wrote the screenplay would confirm such statements about the thinking behind Chain Saw. As one later feature on the film put it, “To the film makers, it was the blackest of black comedies, with some wry commentary on what Henkel called ‘the moral schizophrenia’ of the Watergate era.”'
More here: https://headpress.com/blog/2021/03/1...nning-with-it/

When Bateman is doing his 1000 sit-ups to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, obviously it's like workout music to him. Of course he likes the sounds of the chainsaw and the screaming. But does part of him not aspire to be a bit like Leatherface?
Among other things, the guy uses knives, an axe, a nail-gun, coat hangers, a chainsaw, and a curling iron (in the book). Has eaten some brains and cooked a little, like Hannibal Lecter. He does have some commonality with these Horror characters.

Quote:
Yeah, Bateman is just a normal dude who wouldn't even be a killer if he wasn't in Wall Street.
I definitely don't think that's true. I think it was arguing that the circles he ran in attracted that sort of person, and that that scene was an environment where that sort of person thrives. Who knows what sort of career path he would have ended up in if his dad hadn't owned the company, or what type of person he'd end up being, but probably not a well adjusted one. I don't think the statement "psychopaths are born, sociopaths are made" is entirely accurate in terms it being a binary thing, but the title is not American Sociopath.

We're also talking about this as though he did actually kill these people, though we know certain things could not have happened, like the ATM reading 'FEED ME A STRAY CAT," or his pistol exploding the car. It's a creepier movie to assume he did kill, because that means that the real estate saleswoman was so concerned with selling that apartment, that she disposed of the bodies in the closet, painted it over, and denied it ever happened. Or when his lawyer says he had dinner with Paul Allen twice in London 10 days ago, does he say that because he doesn't want to hear/represent Bateman, or does this lawyer have his own sinister secret covered by fake alibis, which would be exposed if he confirmed what Patrick was saying was true?

But I get why he might not be the best fit for c3g, and since there's no comic, I'm not advocating for his inclusion. But you're right @MrNobody , it would be fun to draft up a design. Something that represents him as sick and twisted and unintentionally hysterically funny.