View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2021, 02:34 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 2/11/21: Nure Onna]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
This is a good 20 point unit, in the grander scheme it is not a Marcu replacement but an option that could situationally be better or at least be a lot more fun to play with than mr "please lava dunk me."

I like how paralyzing trap plays, this requires some forethought from both opponents on when this will come up. The extra die on water is a fine addition to slither, I don't think I have any problems with this unit. I expect it to see a lot of use offensively and then die on the crackback rather hard as long as your opponent is ready for it. Though with the variety of yokai at your disposal this may turn into a complicated game of intentions and "what do I really want to do here?"

I like what this one is bringing to the faction. Devourer seems like a fitting item for the left block too.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to hear that she's landing well at 20 points.

I was originally pushing to keep Life Drain as well, but Captain Stupendous had some very good points about that essentially pigeon-holing her into a "Marcu, but different" sort of role. Without it, she definitely feels more unique and refreshingly simple. She does die quickly with her stats, but she provides excellent bang for her buck while she lasts.

As you noted, the Yokai are quickly becoming fairly complex as a whole--it's really important to be familiar with each figure and think through their best uses to really let them shine. They're a bit similar to the Elven Wizards in that regard (I rarely see players remember every Elf's shtick in the first game), but at a higher degree overall since they don't have the luxury of an easy Ulginesh to tie them together. I think that Nure Onna is a small enough package that she doesn't tip over the scales to be unreasonably complex, thankfully.

Also, I'm glad that you like Devourer. I'm a bit torn on her class now myself, since originally it was a nod to the Dumutef Guards' Attack Enhancement with her many attacks as her "side-synergy," but with the new draft, the Devourer class is mostly for theme. It still works, and if stronger Devourer synergy ever becomes a thing, then it could be more interesting as well, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarant View Post
I love what you've done with the Mokumokuren - to me, good, weird designs are welcome. It's nice that sixteen years after the launch of HeroScape we still get such creative designs! The spot swapping with other constructs is a nice touch.
That's awesome to hear! I do really like Mokumokuren overall, and it's fantastic to have an actual "living object Yokai" given their many legends.

I actually wasn't a big fan of swapping with Constructs for thematic reasons, but Capt. S convinced me that it's a necessary evil to make Mokumokuren playable outside of pure Yokai builds, and a living door with Chomp is too good to pass on.