View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2019, 09:31 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 2019 C3V Playtest Tournament (Round 2 until 9/15)

Lost the match against vegie. Here's the report:

Point Total: 475
Map: Grounds of Ashra
Glyphs: Dagmar and Xipta

AYP - Army: Wildwood Monarch, Wildwood Sentinel x2, Wildwood Runner x2
vegietarian18 - Army: Kurrok, RTS, FE x5, WE x3

Which units survived? Kurrok 2w, 2 Fires, 1 Water

General Battle Report/Flow of game (be as detailed or general as you like)
I used the road to slam the Monarch and a Sentinel into the front lines early, while keeping my excess runner and sentinel out of the way. The elementals burned through the trees fairly well but I was able to kill Re-Tak-Shi before she could get into any good positions. I also inflicted two wounds on Kurrok, but by that point I was out of sentinels and my offense was waning. vegie did a great job making surprise moves with the water elementals, sneaking them around to take shots that killed Zetacron and my runners until I was left with only the Monarch at full health against a few elementals and Kurrok. With only a single strong attack, I wasn't quite able to break through 3 elementals, and the monarch and the last runner I had spawned went down on vegie's OM 3.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

I used Ascend a couple of times to move the Monarch out of swamp water. It's more or less like Climb or Scale on small units--a basic necessity when using units with such low move.

The Awakened Forest powers I used on pretty much every Monarch OM. I typically stuck with having only the Monarch and a Sentinel on the front lines, though I made a few Runner attacks as well.

I used Seedling quite a few times, Verdant Growth once, and never used Vigorous Growth (which I think in retrospect might have been a mistake? I may have forgotten I could have used it in the same round I sacrificed a Sentinel for Verdant Growth, as I think I still had a spare runner at the time). While it was tempting to try and run once most of the wildwoods were down, it's hard to do so with such low move. I prefer that though, as it rewards planning out your offense more than outright turtling.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?
I don't know that the Wildwoods are my kind of unit, but I'm very impressed at how they manage to be functional and interesting while being completely different from any other faction in the game. Arguably, they can be a bit linear to play once they get into melee, since with such low move they present very few options beyond just "attack what's next to you." That wasn't true for me all the time though, and they present a lot of interesting options in army building and development. I certainly didn't play or build them optimally, and vegie struggled for a while to understand how to fight back effectively, so it's possible they'll play a bit different for players that have "solved" them.