View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2021, 09:09 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Talking Re: Schism's Personal Custom Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Zan'nen'na Tamashii -
I love this choice for a sculpt to develop. It looks very natural and Heroscape-y on the battlefield. It also works as a Demon Emperor, though it does have very strong undead vibes. So far Demons are monstrous in appearance. Would a Demon Emperor look more like this? Perhaps.

I also like all three powers. "Blink" is something that should definitely be used for some figure, eventually. Is there a reason why this mini suggests it? I love it as a power, like I said, but this mini suggests reusing Levitate, perhaps. Maybe there's something I'm missing about the mini, because I also don't understand why the red of the hit zone is so limited.
I like the theme evoked by Smite Heal. I don't love the name of the power itself, though. "Unholy Strike," perhaps? This power is something I would associate with a powerful lich, which is (perhaps not coincidentally?) what the mini is. Which hints at perhaps retheming, to get away from Demon and into something in the world of the Undead. Perhaps use this as an opportunity to make a Lich? Up to you.

Finally, I also like Cursed Heroism. Thematically. The idea of a curse again evokes the theme of the undead: in this case, a mummy. I'd also reconsider the name. When you have the theme nailed down, assuming you go away from Demon Emperor, perhaps a name will suggest itself.

I think three new, complex powers, taken together, is a lot to bite off. I would consider simplifying. None of the three powers are written in the style of the way they would be on an official Heroscape card, but as far as I know, you are not intending to nominate these to the SoV. So as long as the reader understands what they mean, that's all that matters.

Web Golem -
This is a very strong design. Two complex powers evoking the same, clear theme. It's a formidable opponent on the battlefield because of its powers, but its low defense (notwithstanding its high life) makes it a manageable opponent. I note that, for some reason, its personality has a number on the end: "relentless6."

This is what I would like to say, but I can't: This one is suitable for the pre-SoV thread. Credit the person who submitted it for the original contest as the original creator, and add your name to it as well (assuming you made some significant change). That's what I would like to say, but I can't.

And the reason why I can't say that is because of the SoV's particular purpose: expand the canon with new designs that people can get. The problem with this design isn't the design itself. It's the mini. The mini is not readily available at any resource I could identify online. If nobody can get it, then it's dead on arrival for the purposes of the SoV (and would be inside the C3V as well, if we were considering using it).

It's a great design, and I encourage you to use it in your home games and share with whomever to use online or in person. But if the mini isn't available, I can't encourage you to submit it to the SoV. And it's possible that it is widely available, and my research was poor. Heaven knows that's happened before.

Thanks for sharing your designs with the world, I had a good time flipping through them.
Its a delight to hear your feedback and once again, there is clarity received. That is a shame to hear of the Web Golem's unavailability. Not even long ago it was more available. I'm not sure who the original creator of it was. You can view it in the thread here.

On average, how many people could you say buy a C3V figure once it is released? It's noticeable that quite a few have become unavailable or gone up in price since release.

The first games I witnessed of the Web Golem, my friend had used and it was seriously strong. There was a most comical incident where him and another friend during a 1v1v1 had decided to team up against me, but wound up locked to each other with Major X17's Improved Cyber Claw and the original Web Golems Web Spray (affecting Large figures as well). Forcing them to attack each other.

Zan'nen'na goes back to my early designs. Hence the sketchy hit zone edit. The wing like extrusions on his back are coming out of a scarab like device, but the robes should be red. Before my last update he even had another ridiculous ability of a complicated debilitating shroud. Cutting that out recently had made it look a little better. I will go over your recommendations with him. I am realizing, yes, suddenly I have too many customs (mine and others). So in order to really refine them, I must narrow down my attention during a single period of time.

Looking at the model as having a movement characteristic, Levitate does seem proper. An ability I had no idea of when first making the custom. So I added the blink ability, something to make him more awesome and maneuverable!
The non coincidence does add direction towards the Undead route rather than Demon. And in a world which consists of Undead rather than only Demons in their idea sense (though he is an incarnation), it doesn't hurt the idea.

If I had to choose an ability to cut for simplicity, right now it would be blink and perhaps replaced with levitate if that is not too much. Wording can almost always use improvement it seems which is something I strive towards whether it is for a submission purpose or my own. It's easy to laze on wording when it remains a personal use custom. I'm not sure his mini would be allowed either since it is unpainted and a bit more intricate than the other unpainted C3V/SoVs.
I actually would really like to create a submittable custom whose model comes from a 3d print.

The qualifications of what has SoV potential appears simple on the outside, and perhaps it can be with just the right amount of zing. The customs I have said of mine to have "potential", I would retract instead saying "could fit in the image of preexisting Heroscape", in my eyes.

I couldn't live with these customs sitting here for long in the state they are still in, and such feedback is of great help, motivation, inspiration, progress.
Discovering C3V only in the recent couple years has been a shock to my perception of customs.
If there is something I am struggling with, if I need a secondary view, or just have some great idea to share, I will be sure to let you know!

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; August 15th, 2021 at 03:05 AM.