View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Matthias' Gen Con 2009 and 2010 report

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Thanks for the reports, MM. Would you mind adding in the type of battles the different games were in the ToC? I picked up clues in some of the things you say, but wasn't sure in every case.
Game 1 was Capture the Flag (end a turn on your opponent's Brandar unengaged to win)
Game 2 was Treasure Quest (have more treasures when all 5 T-glyphs have been revealed)
Game 3 was Heat of Battle
Game 4 was Reverse the Whip (play your opponent's army)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
does it surprise you that dok timed out? Me neither.
Man, timing out drives me crazy. Good players should never time out in tournaments. I've gotta frown on players who frequently time out. Making decisions and moves in a timely manner is part of what makes someone a good player.
I understand why Matthias thinks I time out a lot - I've played him three times and we've timed out twice. He has no way of knowing that his personal experience is the exception and not the rule. What I have a harder time understanding is why, after I've explained that, you feel the need to pile on more disapproval when you don't have any personal experience that conflicts with the hard data.

Before the ToC, I had only timed out twice, and that was when it was two "slow" armies playing on long jungle maps (rats vs. dividers on Invasion, rats vs. knights on Elswin Plateau). I was surprised and frustrated by timing out so much in ToC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Chess clocks...
I'm confident that if you had timed each player's turns (including scatters with the rat player), I would have clocked less time in all four ToC games I played.

In Colorado, we usually play scramble formats, which means untimed games. There are a few players that have a reputation for taking a long time to finish games. I'm not one of them. When I do take a long time to play turns (like I did against spider_poison, playing trons for the first time) it really bothers me and I usually end up apologizing a lot.

Now, if damja or ZBeeblebrox or Onacara want to compain about me taking slow turns in Ascension... OK, guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Hey, I like Fulcrum and.... yeah I like ....Fulcrum...
No love for Trailblazer? That felt pretty melee-friendly to me. I know I felt like it was a good map for the Heavies when I played on it in Heat of Battle.