View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Power creep is an issue, particularly in light of units like Cather Spearmen and other A and B units. C3V and SOV haven't put in many units that are below that mark and none that are below a considered C.
That's a feature, not a bug. We're making units that we want to be suitable for competitive play. So none that grade out too high, and none that grade out too low.

I'm satisfied that we've generally stayed in that range. Sometimes we miss a little high and get an A unit; sometimes we miss a little low and get something in the C range. That's not on purpose, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Regardless, it's been many years since tournament formats did not account for the efficiency disparity between Unit A and Unit B.

Though I do reject the term "power creep," in that the power level of C3V/SoV units does not seem (to me) to be climbing. It's just that we try to avoid making (or approving) units that have no reason to see the table in competitive play. I don't think the tide is rising on power level, though.
Not saying it's by plan or anything though specifically designing somewhat competitive units by default would lend itself to creeping up somewhat. There are no Dund or Marro Drudge or because they're made to not be that level. At the same time some classic units have been boosted by C3V/SOV units to a higher rank which does help the game. So there is good and bad to it. For those that casualscape rather than play tourneys that may not appeal to them. At least in my local scene that is the case, it's more about playing to have fun than win something. Not that they don't appreciate the C3V/SOV stuff, much of it is fun and interesting. Truthfully the biggest limitation is still always going to be the out of print ness of figures. Even those created by C3V/SOV, some released years ago and others that aren't even out yet have that issue.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!