View Single Post
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Metagame Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Right, and that's what makes building an army like that such a challenge, in terms of the theoryscape challenge I just presented. You're starting out with a loss against the pseudo-mirror army, so unless you can win both of the other matchups a majority of the time, you're just spinning your wheels.

That said, if you can simply balance out those matchups, you've accomplished something meaningful. I think this does demonstrate how hard it is to nail down the metagame even with a group of builds.
This is kind of how K-boom decided to play the A+ Junk army back in Jan 2008.

He thought, "what if I just play all of the good units, even though they don't really make that much sense together?" It was a lot like the popular Q9 build, only with Mass instead of Laglor/Krav.

For 550, he played:

Major Q9 180
3x 4th Mass 390
Raelin 470
2x Deathreavers 550

In our playtesting, he crushed everything I threw at him. I was 0-8 over a few days of games on the maps for Wytefang's tourney.

I went 2-1 against him in our playtesting when I switched to Nilfheim, Cyp, Sonya, 3x Deathreavers, Marro Warriors. It was a very similar kind of army, just with more of my sense of style at the time.

But what he actually lost to the day of the tourney was what you'd probably call his pseudo-mirror: a standard Mattser Vydar range pod... + 2x Rats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)