View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:14 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: The Design Holocron of Bespin Carbon Freeze Chamber

Alright I've played 4 games on the board now using the Freezing Chamber rules. I made a few changes here and there between the games.

I didn't realize you were not allowed to attack a figure on the Freezing Chamber glyph in one game and attacked that figure a few times. Then after seeing that rule, I ended up changing it so that you could attack a figure on the Freezing Chamber glyph (other wise the unit could just refuse to move off of it and become invulnerable), but that figure gained an auto shield on defense if it had been frozen and not yet moved or attacked (OM reveals for bonding didn't have any effect though). That worked out pretty well as you could then move a figure over to the freezing chamber and start attacking it, but the auto shield helped keep the frozen figure alive long enough to become unfrozen and start fighting back.

In one game neither side controlled a single Control glyph during the game. I started thinking that maybe you should not be able to freeze someone unless you controlled at least one glyph, but then I changed my mind by the end of the game. For competitive reasons it is really key to be able to gain control of the Bespin and move a figure down off of high ground (steps or upper platform) as a figure on the steps can block off the path up the steps and have high ground permanently (when no flying or force jump figures are in play).

I was all set to drop my suggestion of leaving the rock tiles rock and just making the whole board road tiles (except for the shadow tiles of course), but then I played a game that way and had to change my mind back. 9 move Gladiators just flew across the flat part of the board around the shadow tiles and dominated the ranged Soulborgs they were facing. Units with a range of 7+ are priced based on the idea they will get at least one attack in before a move 5/6, range 1 figure can close the distance and attack. When you give all range 1 figures a move of 8/9 the game balance changes too much. I did replay the same match with the rock tiles being rock and while the gladiators still won, it was a closer game.

I really think having the control glyphs on the lower level in the the center of a rock tile (and one surrounded by shadow) will make any battlefront game system we come up with much more competitive. Then your defenders can actually defend the Control Points instead of just sitting there waiting to get assaulted by figures from outside of your range.