View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2022, 12:59 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Heroscape 2 Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
And regarding a master set...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
I don’t believe anyone said “master set”

Master Set means something very specific to you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @SkyWhale
Will there be a Master set to kick off the rest of the epoch that is AoA?
Need to wait and see.
With the announcement of the Ironclad Collective faction, we know the War Council is (likely) planning on more than two factions released at launch. And, in conjunction with what's been officially said regarding Master Sets, I think we'll see a non-traditional "master set" release, akin to the release structure we currently see in other miniatures games:
  • Unit packs and terrain packs may be separate from each other upon release.
  • There may be a "Master" figure pack containing a smattering of hero figures. Think if RotV figures were sold in a pack much like D&D hero packs.
  • There may be additional figure packs released alongside a "Master" pack. These would likely be the individual faction sets, including mainly common units.
  • If the previous point is true, we may also see smaller faction-specific hero packs.
  • We may see one or a few terrain-only packs. Possibly one traditional master-set-sized terrain pack and one or more smaller terrain packs.

Based on Encarmine's phrasing that AoA is an epoch much like RotV and SotM while at the same time strongly hinting that we won't see a traditional master set, I think we'll see a release structure that combines the traditional master set, figure expansion wave, and terrain expansion into one larger release. Then, over time, AH will likely add more packs to the epoch until it's rounded out enough to (hopefully) release another epoch.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
So they won't call it a "Master Set" but there has to be some kind of "Base Set" or "Starter Set" with figures, terrain, and rules. If they sold terrain and figures completely separately, then new players would have to make two purchases to be able to play and that is a restrictive barrier to entry. I believe RotV was sold at a loss to draw new players in.
Your point about the multiple purchases is definitely a critical factor. If my release predictions are generally true, we may also see a smaller starter set that includes just enough content to play the game. Much like the D&D and Pathfinder starter sets that are relatively inexpensive introductions to the respective system while also providing the critical components to get a sense of the full experience.

I like this structure