View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2021, 09:03 PM
Ninja Playtester

fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fret_gurglo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Book of Mutt (Public Playtesting)

Playtests from Skinderella

Quote:
NAME OF THE PLAYTEST UNIT: Mutt & Junkyard

Map: Mountain Spring
Units: Mutt (105), Junkyard (25), Captain America (C3G) (240), Cosmo (160), Sgt. Rock (175), Winter Soldier II (240), Oracle (110) (1055) Vs. Nightwing (200), Starfire (210), Superboy (240), Raven (190), Ravager (210) (1050)

Spoiler Alert!

Winners: Nightwing with 2 wounds, Raven with 3 wounds, Ravager with 2 wounds.

Units: Mutt (105), Junkyard (25), Sgt. Rock (175), War Machine (270), Winter Soldier II (240), Captain America (C3G) (240) (1055) Vs. Arkillo (310), Sinestro Corps Soldier x3 (330), Sinestro (330), Angel (90) (1060)

Spoiler Alert!

Winners: Mutt with 2 wounds.

Units: Mutt (105), Junkyard (25), Sgt. Rock (175), Cosmo (160), Captain America (C3G) (240) (705) Vs. Bebop & Rocksteady (600), Headpool (60), Spider-Cat (40) (700)

Spoiler Alert!

Winners: Rocksteady with 4 wounds, Bebop with 5 wounds, Spider-Cat.

Thoughts on the tested unit’s cost, balance, & draftability:
I found Mutt and Junkyard to be a fun duo that get the best out of each other strictly together, but can be effective when mixed in a soldier build too. If left unattended they can be a big threat with auto wounds and the buffs they provide to one another. I can see them working well as either clean up, or a supportive auto wounding unit where Junkyard dips in to auto wound whilst Mutt takes shots on turns. This was how I played them here and there, where Rock bonded with Sgt. Rock whilst Junkyard moved around only at the end of the round. In a build with Rock and Captain America, Mutt can very quickly escalate in power with his synergies. At one point I was rolling 6 attack dice with an auto skull thanks to height, Avenger Marker, and an engaged Rock.

Another fun synergy was with Cosmo. Cosmo can provide some interesting utility and pairs really well with Mutt to protect him and others, and his slightly higher survivability allows him to sit in a fight a bit longer, though he is also considerably more expensive than Junkyard.

He’s 100% draftable in my opinion. He can bring solid auto-wounding, good synergies for dogs and wolves, can help mix the hounds and soldiers together, and can become a problem if allowed to set up, even at such a low cost.

Junkyard is a great filler piece. Very cheap for what he can do, and can be solid with any soldiers even if Mutt’s not brought. I can see him being a lot stronger if a soldier comes along with Daring Decoy. Junkyard to me seems more versatile than Mutt in terms of who you can pair him with, but Mutt really ties the two together.

There is potential for a price increase maybe on one or the other (I think leaning a bit more to Junkyard), as they can consistently do damage, but I think the duo can be shut down easily enough that it's not too much of a concern.

General thoughts on the tested unit:
I found when playing these two that I had to keep looking back at the write-ups. Often I can memorise what the character does, but with the amount of criss crossing these two have I had to keep referring back to make sure the right character was using an ability.

On Dog Trainer, is it intended that Mutt can attack an ally to move a dog? As worded right now that can be done, and it doesn’t seem like something that would be intended, though also doesn’t seem too strong if left.

Have no knowledge on GI Joe at all, but had a blast playing these two! Really looking forward to seeing future dogs and wolves and how they interact with Mutt, and for the eventual day we can have a dog army!

My designs for C3G nomination
My current reward points