View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2020, 11:44 PM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Venom (Eddie Brock) (II) (Public Test)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Groovy. Looking forward to the results!
Maybe you shouldn't be.

Quote:
C3G STANDARD PLAYTEST FEEDBACK FORM

NAME OF THE PLAYTEST UNIT: Venom (Eddie Brock)

Army Test 1
Map: Bountiful Grove (Glyph of Wannok)
Units: Team 1 (685): Venom (240), Red Skull (250), Rocket Raccoon II (195)
Team 2 (690): Luke Cage (190), Spider-Man (250), Iron Man Mk IV (250)

Pre-game thoughts: Spidey is weak to Venom. We’ll see how that goes.

Summary of the game:
Spoiler Alert!

Post-game thoughts: Venom and the Cube is a very good combo. He’s really fast and doesn’t take LEAs, so if you knock it out of his hand you better have someone immediately ready to grab it or he’s getting it again.

Spidey’s weakness to Venom never really came up, which is probably a good thing for balance.

Army Test 2
Map: Island Plane Crash (Glyph of Wannok)
Units: Team 1 (1,005): Venom (240), Red Skull (250), Super-Skrull (340), Jason Vorhees (175)
Team 2 (1,000): X-Men Classic

Pre-game thoughts:

Summary of the game:
Spoiler Alert!

Post-game thoughts: Another rough one. I’ll be honest, I don’t think Red Skull and 3 stand-alone units should be able to take out the X-Men like that. Jason was certainly useful, as most of the X-Men don’t have SS and he could control the flow of their traffic to a degree. Still, it wasn’t Jason inflicting the majority of the wounds.

THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT'S COST, BALANCE, & DRAFTABILITY: I think he’s a serious bargain for 240, especially with Skull. Venom is really fast, meaning that even if the opponent knocked the Cube really far away, Venom can go retrieve it and be back in the fight in a turn or two, sometimes even the same turn with the combination of Clamber and the Cube’s movement option. He’s honestly just a superior Cube-wielder to Skull in a majority of ways, and once the Cube was knocked out of Skull’s hands I never wanted anyone but Venom to hold it. I think part of the problem is that I feel like he's the first design that can wield the Cube that feels actively better to take a turn with than Skull.

Outside of that, he’s still pretty good. He has a burly attack, the ability to easily gain height, and a defense subtraction option to round it all out. He’s easy enough to wound, but hard to finish off.

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT: All that aside, the design feels very cool. I really like Clamber a lot, especially how it encourages a frenetic sort of playstyle hopping from enemy to enemy. I was a bit worried Lethal Protector would wind up making him just a funky bodyguard, but he really felt much more useful charging around attacking stuff. I don’t think LP will come up all that often, but I honestly enjoy it as a weird side bonus that happens due to circumstance.
I honestly feel really guilty cause this is like...the 3rd unit in a row where I've come in as the 3rd playtester and complained about something. But that Skull combo is just really juicy and I feel like it would be a cost driver.

My thinking (if we're looking to make changes) would be to lower his base move by 1 and maybe REMIX! Unstoppable Resilience into something like Symbiote Resilience that doesn't allow him to avoid those Glyph wounds.