View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2019, 07:00 PM
One time at band camp...

Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death! Lord Pyre is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Ultron Drones - Waiting for Initial Playtest

Finally done! I did 3 army tests here, and if you'd like more it'll be in the future, I've maxed out my testing time as of now!

As I mention in the notes, I recommend lowering the Ultron Imperative bonus. It encourages a play style that I don't believe is intended.

Another option which would help is to change the Age of Ultron power to moving Ultrons up to 4 spaces. That way they’re not hard to keep up with. You could increase the number of moved Ultrons to 3 then also. "You may instead move up to 2 Ultron figure you control up to 4 spaces each, and attack with up to one Ultron figure you control." That would keep the "swarm" style and make them a more effective screen, while making sure the opposing team can still keep up with them.

But that said, Ultron won 2 out of 3 games, and the one loss was because Nightwing dodged attacks for 3 rounds straight, so it wasn't a true loss, in my opinion. Ultron should have destroyed him.

Quote:
C3G STANDARD PLAYTEST FEEDBACK FORM
Quote:

NAME OF THE PLAYTEST UNIT: ULTRON DRONES

Army Test
Map: Custom
Units: Ultron, Ultron Drones x4
Vs.
Fantastic Four.

Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Units: Ultron, Ultron Drones x4 (1000)
Vs.
Nightwing, Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, Changeling (990)

Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Units: Ultron, Ultron Drones x3, Gizmo, Mechanical Constructs x3 (1200)
Vs.
Prof. X, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel, Forge, Shadowcat (II) (1190)

Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT'S COST, BALANCE, & DRAFTABILITY:
Cost, Balance, and Draftability? I would take these guys every time I play Ultron. For what they do they seem pretty solid at 80 points. My concern is what they do with Ultron himself. I originally thought they’d swarm, but what they do in reality is be an extra life for Ultron that’s a pain in the butt for the opposing team. Ultron only transmitted once in these tests, and not even on a Drone, but the THREAT of transmission is devastating. The first two games I used the Drones as a screen for Ultron, but the last game is played more optimally for the unit, and that’s having them run away while Ultron is in the opponent’s face. I didn’t want to touch Ultron himself knowing that he could easily transmit to the Drones, so the game became Forge and Shadowcat running after Drones who were playing keepaway, while Ultron just kept blasting away, whittling down the X-Men’s forces. Is that how they SHOULD be played? Or INTENDED to be played?

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT:
The Ultron army as is, is definitely fun. The Drones are tough, even with low stats. I never attacked with them once, however. I honestly think they’d be more fun for both teams if the Ultron Imperative power was changed to 1 or 2. That way they’re still the prime target for his Transmission, but then it doesn’t encourage their keepaway tactics quite as much. The Ultron armies dominated here, and that’s largely in part of the opponent trying to kill the Drones first, knowing that attacks on Ultron would be wasted. Dropping the Imperative bonus encourages more of using them as a screen (I would most likely still hide one, but that’s also decently thematic, since he hid one copy in the film, at least).