View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2018, 12:54 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Iron Man (Thorbuster) (Public Playtesting Ph

Here's this from danthem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthem
Thorbuster Playtest:
Map for both games: Bad Moon Rising

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avengers
vs
The Justice league of asgardians
Captain America, Thorbuster, Black Widow, Falcon, Spider Man (Peter Parker), Ant-Man (Scott Lang)
vs
3x asguardian warriors, Martian Manhunter II, Hogan, 1 skrull infiltrator [1310]

In an alternate time, Martian Manhunter has risen to the top of Asguardian society, taking the role of King from the now deceased Odin and Thor. The Asguardians serve under him out of fear, defending the realms as they always have. Now, with most of Martian Manhunters trusted servants out, defending a far-off land from an alien invasion, the Avengers have assembled to topple the Manhunter's regime. Only a few Warriors, Martian Manhunter's most trusted warrior - Hogun, and Martian Manhunter himself, stand between the fall of an oppressive, but efficient, regime.

Round 1:
spidey deals 1 to asguardian warrior
asguardian warrior deals 3 to spidey

Round 2:
Hogan hits thorbuster for 3,
captain america deals 1 wound to each asguardian warrior
thorbuster hits asguardian warrior for 1 damage

Round 3:
CAPTAIN AMERICA IN ONE FELL SWOOP, SLAYS 2 ASGUARDIAN WARRIORS, dealing 4 and 3 damage respectively. SKRULL INFILTRATOR TAKES TO THE FIELD
hogan deals 2 to falcon
Thorbuster punches hogan for 3 damage, deals 1 more with reveal x ability. THORBUSTER KILLS SKRULL INFILTRATOR
hogan attacks thorbuster for 2 damage
black widow deals 3 to asguardian warrior

Round 4:
hogan KILLS FALCON, ASGUIARDIAN WARRIOR KILLS THORBUSTER
spiderman slings HOGAN TO HIS DEATH, dealing 3 damage
martian manhunter KILLS SPIDERMAN (peter parker)

Round 5:
Black Widow deals a wound to MM,
MM deals 3 to BW

Round 6:
BW DIES to MM,
ant-man KILLS ASGUARDIAN WARRIOR,
MM HUNTER ANT-MAN
CAP DEALS 2 DAMAGE TO MM
MM DEALS 2 DAMAGE TO CAP

Round 7:
cap deals 1 to MM

Round 8:
MM KILLS CAP

survivors:
MM, 4 wounds

As the dust settles, Martian Manhunter stands over the bodies of his fallen enemies, and comrades. "Why send an army, when one person would do the trick", Martian Manhunter ponders. His eyes flicker over the body of Captain America. "That one fought with such vigor, he truly cared for his friends." The dents from Captain America's shield mark the walls in dozens of spots across the room, many featuring prominently in the armor of Hogun and the other Asguardian Warriors. "A shame he opposed me."

This was a good back and forth game, but every thing really fell apart for the the avengers in round 4. The Thorbuster did ok this game, as a fairly squishy damage dealer (much different then when he goes against non-asguardians), but I am unsure as to whether he fit the 430 point range. In a 1 on 1 fight he may take the win, but his utility is quite lacking without any real synergy. As a counter to asguardians, I don't really see him prevailing. His low speed and fairly low normal attack are not exactly fitting for such a high cost figure. It felt great to punch people out of the stratosphere, but not being able to attack them after they leave engagement if you are otherwise engaged felt pretty bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iron Men
vs
Legionnaires
Iron Man V, Iron Man Stealth, Iron Man Thorbuster
vs
Cosmic Boy, Brainiac V, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, and Sandman (Baker)

Sandman has once again been rehabilitated, and has decided to, this time, join the legion of super-heroes. However, ever wary of this former super-villain, Tony Stark has taken it into his own hands to stop the legion of super-heroes from accepting him into their ranks. Tony has seen the treachery which sandman is capable of, deceiving for his own good, only to do more evil. With the disagreement escalating, Tony Stark stealthily activates his suit's Slave Servo button, calling in some reinforcement for the combat which he suspects is about to break out. When the suits arrive, he is proven correct.

Round 1:
iron man V deals 3 wounds to sandman, iron man stealth deals 1 more
iron man V KILLS SANDMAN
Saturn girl deals 1 to V and 1 to self,
Thorbuster Deals 2 to Cosmic boy, then another 1

Round 2:
Iron Man V KILLS COSMIC BOY, Thorbuster deals 2 to saturn girl
Stealth Suit KILLS SATURN GIRL
Iron Man V deals 1 to brainiac V, Thorbuster deals another 2

Round 3:
Lightning lad deals 1 damage to thorbuster
Iron Man V deals 3 damage to KILL BRAINIAC V, thorbuster deals 2 damage to lightning lad
Iron Man V deals 1 to KILL LIGHTNING LAD

Survivors:
Stealth Suit: unharmed, Thorbuster: 4 wounds, Mk V: 1 would, 2 skrull infiltrators

Tony Stark once again stands over the bodies of people who he wished he could have protected. The Legion of Super-heroes had intended good, but Tony knew that their actions would only lead to the deaths of many other innocent people. Hours later, a single speck of sand begins to reform the barely alive Sandman. As his eyes form, and he regains his senses, he becomes acutely aware of the bodies which surround him - Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Brainiac V - all his friends, merely a hours ago. Suddenly his sadness gives way to a stronger, more violent emotion. Rage. "If you want me to be a villain, Stark, I'll be your villain."

This match was a slaughter, but I think that that was in part due to poor D20 rolls on the part of the legionaires, making their leader die very early, and the rest of them in short order. The Thorbuster did a good amount of damage, and knocked the belt off of brainiac. He also moved multiple units into low ground, causing even more damage. I did not like the mandatory movement on the punch, but it felt thematic. Overall, this felt a lot stronger than it did against the asguardians.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I'd say that thorbuster is right about where they belong for now, perhaps a bit weaker than I'd feel fits for a 430 point figure. Most high-cost units are risky picks, because once they die your army loses a huge portion of the army. This figure gets around that issue by only taking one wound at a time, but loses some of the offensive vigor that they carry. I think that that is a fair trade-off. He felt great as a huge threat which had to be dealt with in the second game, rather than having Mk V focused.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!