View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Not Citrus

Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun Lazy Orang is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Mirage (public playtesting)

Sorry this is so late - I was hoping to finish this off on Friday, but my brother noticed a wet patch on the ceiling that morning, that turned out to be a leaking pipe, which meant we had to spend the day clearing out a packed bedroom (presently used as a storage room with my Mum's stuff in it) above the stain that day, carting stuff into my room (which is presently inundated with crap) and hurting my Mum's back and side in the process, before getting a plumber out the next day to take up the floorboards, which meant even more stuff then had to be moved into my room, and before then hoovering through the whole damn house, tidying up the room the pipe was under and getting enough stuff out of my room that I could get to my bed. Those were my last two days, chaps. I hope you'll forgive me if I've been a tad out of touch/mardy/late with testing.
Anyway, here we go!

- Theme Test - Inconclusive, as I don't know the character, but the fact that if an opponent escapes from your Greatest Fear you have to go out of your way to destroy it again to get it back feels off.
- Mirror Test - Pass
- Bonding Test - Pass
- Mutant synergies are damn good, but she's not breaking anything.
- Synergies Test - Pass - Same here.
- Power Check - Pass - Nothing worrying.
- Fun Test - Pass - Your Greatest Fear is beautifully evocative and loads of fun!
- Fun Competitive Test - Pass - She's quite east to kill if you can get to her.
- Drafting Test - Pass
- Usage Test - Tentative Pass
- I won't say Psychic Arrows will never get used - the roll’ll pop up occasionally by accident - but they are nowhere near useful or reliable enough to plan around or be a meaningful part of the design.
- Strategy Test - Pass - A long ranged flying Mutant with the ability to give up her turn to place Your Greatest Fear is really strategic.

Name Of The Playtest Units: Mirage

Army Test 1
Map: The Center of the Night by superfrog (no glyphs)
Armies:
Professor X, Sage, Mirage, Cable (860 points)
vs.
Nico Minoru, Karolina Dean, Chase Stein, Molly Hayes, Gert Yorkes, Old Lace, Waking Nightmare, Final Ruin, Mesmerise, 1x Hellfire: Ignition, 1x Mystic Flames (860 points)

Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 2

Map: Hush by superfrog (no glyphs)
Armies;
Magneto (vII), Mystique (vII), Mirage, Blob, Destiny (930 points)
vs.
Master Splinter, Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, Michelangelo (930 points)

Spoiler Alert!

Final Thoughts On The Tested Unit:

There’s a lot of things I love about this character - the figure looks great (I need it), a cheap, long ranged flying Mutant is cool and Your Greatest Fear is fun, strategic, unique and beautifully evocative. There are, however, a few things that frustrate me. First is listed in Theme Test, and that’s that you have to go out of your way to destroy a Greatest Fear your opponent escapes to get it back. This hasn’t cropped up for me, but feels unthematic and as though it would be frustrating and not very fun when it pops up.
The biggest one is Psychic Arrows. Hasn’t cropped up for me once, and that was in a build trying to boost her attack and one trying to boost her D20, and I’ve been trying to make use of it. It feels a bit like Iceman’s Deep Freeze SA, which also has the OM removal pop up so rarely as to feel like an afterthought to me, only on an attack of only 3 that you have to put effort in to make as strong as his, and as a full power on its own rather than a small addition to an SA (and, for the record, had Iceman been designed now, I’d probably have also stated that his OM removal was not that interesting or useful, though it would have concerned me less than here). If you want it to be a part of her gameplay rather than a card-filler that might sometimes do a thing when the stars align, you’ll need to make some changes, and I have a few suggestions for ways you could take it. Bear in mind with my suggestions that I don’t know the character or who she should thematically be working with. Each of these would hopefully make it useful regardless of build, though obviously they’ll each steer her to some builds over others:
  • Drop the roll to something like 13, keep as is otherwise (encourages pairing her with Destiny and the Brotherhood for the D20 bonus to make it more likely to trigger, or with attack boosters (Sage, Apocalypse, Captain America, Star-Lord etc.) to give you more opportunities to roll - possibly the second more than the first).
  • Boost her attack to 4, keep power as is (encourages pairing her with Destiny and the Brotherhood for the D20 bonus to make it more likely to trigger, or with attack boosters to give you more opportunities to roll - possibly the first more than the second).
  • Cut the D20 roll, make the OM removal instead of inflicting one of the wounds, Eye of Agamotto style (encourages pairing with attack boosters).
  • Make it an instead of attacking power that allows you to roll the D20 against a figure at long range and, on given rolls, inflict wounds and remove OMs? Perhaps even have scaling effects based on higher D20 rolls? Make it a bit like a weaker, ranged version of Psylocke’s Psychic Knife? (Encourages pairing her with Destiny and the Brotherhood.)
  • Drop roll to something like 15 or 14 and give it a bonus to the roll for adjacent Telepaths, Jean Grey style (encourages using her in Mutant Telepath builds with the likes of Cyclops, Emma Frost and Sage... she especially loves Sage here).
My final thought is that the figure planned for the Greatest Fear DO feels remarkably... pedestrian. I mean, come on, a small gargoyle on a stone pedestal? Not freaking me out, especially not when you compare it with some of the crap figures will face in this game. I reckon you want something really weird, freaky, perhaps even ethereal. Look at some of the weirder D&D, Pathfinder and Dreamblade minis (the Caller in Darkness comes to mind immediately). This DO is far too interesting to have such a dull looking battlefield presence.
One last note... I accidentally played her single spaced. I didn't see the double-spaced note, and assumed she was going to be like Hawkeye (vII), Robot and Black Knight. Are you sure you don't want that?

My Family's Classic Customs
- Suicidium Scourge
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; August 5th, 2018 at 07:16 PM.