View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Baron Mordo - Initial Playtest

- Theme Test - Pass, he feels like the character to me, at least the version from Spider-Man the Animated Series (not so much the one from the Doctor Strange film, but the Spider-Man version seems more comic accurate anyway).
- Mirror Test - Pass
- Bonding Test - Pass
- Pretty much just Wong, not that amazing (though having Wong next to you can make those already terrifying OM1 DAE attacks even more insane).
- Synergies Test - Pass - Other than Wong and a nice light touch with Hell Lords, it’s just Human synergy, really - he can get healed by Alfred, Cloned by Arnim Zola or Jackal and... what’s this?... he can bolster a Civilian’s resolve! Back to the drawing board, that combo’s clearly broken!
- Power Check - Pass - Dark Arts Empowerment is pretty damn scary, but all those games were pretty close.
- Fun Test - Pass - Dark Arts Empowerment is really, really fun to use - think Stinger Drain on steroids, only simultaneously more reliable and riskier.
- Fun Competitive Test - Pass - No issues - he's pretty scary, but not frustrating.
- Drafting Test - Pass - I'd definitely draft him, though it could be hard to build armies around him sometimes.
- Usage Test - Tentative Pass - Hypnosis got only light use in the first two tests, and none in the last one. Now, it's not useless, but it's not the core of the design as I originally planned. Now, I think I'm okay with this, as his spells will make it much more useful, but in his base design, it's honestly a bit disappointing. DAE kind of makes up for it though.
- Strategy Test - Pass - DAE is a very strategic power - you can unleash really impressive attack power with him using it, but a wound on him is painful. Add to that the fact that to use it to full effect you need to pile OMs on him or a Hell Lord and it weakens as the round goes on, and it becomes even more so. Most of the time, it’s worth using on OM1, probably not worth the risk on OM3, and on OM2... probably worth it? Really borderline there. You really have to think when using it.

Name Of The Playtest Unit: Baron Mordo

Army Test 1

Map: Conflict Chernobyl (no glyphs)
Armies:
Baron Mordo (265), Wong, Venom (C3G) (585 points)
vs.
Iron Man (MkV), Iron Man (Hasbro), Iron Man (MkI) (590 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 2
Map: Invasion (No Glyphs)
Armies;
Baron Mordo (265), Star Lord, Super-Skrull (Kl’rt), Zombie (975 points)
vs.
Captain America (C3G), Bucky, Ms. Marvel, Invincible (980 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 3

Map: Draugur (No Glyphs, normal snow, normal ice)
Armies;
Baron Mordo (260), Mephisto, Batroc the Leaper (1,190 points)
vs.
Martian Manhunter (vII), Quasar, Phobos, Echo (1,190 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Thoughts On The Tested Unit's Cost, Balance, & Draftibility:

I like him at 260 - he’s fun to play, really scary but doesn’t hold up that long (most of the time) for a magical figure. The lack of use for Hypnotism is a little disappointing, but I’m sure those spells will make it much more useful, so I think I’m cool with it. Basically, if you take him on his own, you’re taking him for Dark Arts Empowerment, and that’s his thing, with Hypnotism being a occasional bonus - but if you want to make good use of Hypnotism, you can take his spells and make it more of a thing for him. Oh, and by the way, @Ronin , thank you for pushing for Dark Arts Empowerment - for a power that I originally included as a concession, I bloody love it!

So, in short... I Propose Moving Baron Mordo to Public Playtesting.

@Tornado -
@johnny139 -
@Viegon -
@Yodaking -
@japes -
@TrollBrute -

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; April 30th, 2017 at 09:33 AM.