View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

A Stone's Throw by darkmage7a

I'll vote NO to induct A Stone's Throw by darmage7a.

At first I was very excited for this map, I think it is a very special map, and the special things were not bad for the balance or the gameplay, but the more I played it the more my hopes diminished.

There is some good things in this map:
-promotes melee
-very few sets needed
- split SZ which adds some originality and the fact that some spaces are way better than other so it disadvantages armies with a lot of figures.

But at feel this map is way too extreme in how it handles the things, having all your opponent's army in range since the first turn, being able to engage your opponent at the first turn, being able to put 4 members of any squad on the max height level in the first turn, this is too extreme.
The first initiative is stronger than ever on this map as well as initiative switches, and is a big deciding factor of who will wins, especially if you bring armies which are really strong on this map.
With some armies you can engage and take height since the first turn and never give it back again to your opponent, unless he gets a huge init switch. Some units break the map, really, like Cathars Spearmen or Vulcanmech Incendiborgs.
If you brought an all-around army and your opponent brought an army shapped for this map you're amost sure to lose. If this map is in the map pool, you have to build your armies around it really, this map takes too much importance I think.

Playing this map I felt like once the game started all you can do, and have to do, is just go forward and try to break the wall in front of you. This map let very few strategicall choices possible, if not none, and it's most of the time a dice feast which will decide the winner. The glyphs don't help much, because they're too easy to contest, and you have to lose an attack to get one, and it happens that firepower is SO important in this map because all your units are in range, and the first to "break the wall" and get the height in the middle wins that you really don't want to lose any firepower at all.

Overall I think A Stone's Throw could be a very interesting map to add into a well thought map pool, with some range friendly maps to compensate and into a fun tournament with restrictions, because some top tier units really breaks the map, but it's a too dangerous map in my opinion to be added in WoS.