View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: WARGROUNDS of SCAPE (WoS) - discussion thread

Remains of Cionesia by tannergx

Overall design and aestetic:
Remains of Clionesia is one of the many maps using 1RotV and 1FotA. Personally I find many of this maps more beautiful than Remains of Clionesia, but this map is still ok in this criteria.
Just by looking at it you start to guess all the stuff you could do on this map and it give the urge to play.

Balance
It's the kind of maps I prefer: melee-friendly-but-with room-for-shooters maps.
Once the melee army is in the fortress, it's quite difficult for a ranged army but if the ranged army manage to clean the fortress, it has a free reign over the the startzone. Because it's quite difficult to re-enter in the startzone for common squads, there is only one big entry, other entries "cut" the movement a lot.
That's this "snowball" effect that I was worried of. I you lead with a good ranged hero (Q9), and you clean'up the squad figures on the fortress I thought it can be very difficult to delocate the hero.
But after a few tests I found that's it's not impossible at all, because the LoS in the fortress are limited, and a map that is good for heroes is not bad at all. Plus you have good thing for squads too: the 2 glyphs on the sides, hero-based armies will have big trouble getting them.
So overall a good melee vs range balance and a good hero vs squads balance. So a nice overall balance.
But what about the A/A+ units? Do they dominate?
Well I already talked about how Q9 can be strong on this map, the same applies for the rats, well played they're a pain to deal with on this map (like on mostly any map anyway).
And Raelin? Well I completely disagree with Kevindola here, Raelin is extremly strong on this map, she can go on the best spots in one move, and she has several very good placements possible, more or less aggresive.
In brief nothing is made to make this figures less strong. It could be a major drawback but the next paragraph saves the day.

Playability
So yes the A+ units fully deserve their rank on this map butit's not a big deal to me, we are not in 2010 anymore, "straight up one army" formats don't exist anymore. So as long as the games with these figures are fun it's good.
And god they were, because as the goal on this map is to take control of the fortress and then snowball, you just cannot camp. So if you have rats you have to go forward with them not just let them near your ranged-hero in Rae's aura. If you have Q9 you have to constantly move because of LoS blockers. And with Raelin she's huge on this map if well played, but here well played means with risks taken and with a lot of choices to do.
I found Raelin mirrors very enjoyable on this map.

Yes the "snowball" effect can be hard to suffer, but you have to adapt your strategy before you get behind, so you don't lose all the board control and your chances of winning the game on one bad defense roll.

An other good thing on the playability of this map is that in almost every game the whole map is used, every single hex have an importance in this map, this is very enjoyable.

Conclusion
Yes this map has some drawbacks, but the overall design and playability is too good to pass out.
I vote Yes to induct Remains of Clionesia in the WoS.