View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Spectre(Public Playtesting)

The first result is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter700
NAME OF THE TEST UNIT (Spectre)

Thanks for the opportunity to playtest this design. I actually purchased a DC Universe Spectre toy last year in January during a local department store's clearance sale for $1.99. I bought him so that if/when C3G made the design I was ready. It was nice to finally put him to use.

- THEME TEST/ Check to see if there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that does not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character would and could do. Also consider destructible objects, and whether or not this characters powers should affect them.
Pass. I've read a few Spectre trades (when he was Jim Corrigan, Hal Jordan, & Crispus Allen). Spectre is a character I get interested in, order the trade, then feel disappointed about. It seems I like the idea of him better then the actual character as written. To me, he always comes off as such a know-it-all jerk. Anyways, your design captures all the things I like about Spectre, and even allows for hints of the aloof, know-it-all jerk too.

- MIRROR TEST/ Check to see if the unit were played against itself, if there would be any loops that would upset the balance of the Game.
Pass.

- BONDING TEST/ Compare the unit card with all possible currently existing Bonding abilities to make sure there are no continual Bonding possibilities that do not stop appropriately or do not stop at all. This is to prevent loops in Bonding.
Pass. I couldn't find any issues with Adjudicator, Entity, or Vengeful.

- SYNERGIES TEST/ Compare the unit card with all possible currently existing synergies to make sure there are no factors that could break the game by making any unit to powerful or too weak.
Pass. Withering Gaze is a great power. It really represents the intimidation effect of Spectre. However, I really like that Fearless figures (like Hal Jordan) get a pass from it. This really opens up a category of characters that can hurt Spectre - and thematically it works great. Brilliant stuff!

- POWER CHECK/ Consider the test unit and all existing units and all glyphs to compare to and check for any powers that could be over amplified and break the game. Each power must define when it takes place, who or what it affects, and What are the stipulations on the power if there are any.
Pass. Spectre is mighty powerful (I think even more powerful then my playtests show). However, he should be. As a 500 point event hero he works.

- FUN TEST/ Consider whether or not the design was fun to play.
Pass. On my 650ish point level test, the strategy I used made the game drag on and get tiring. I had Spectre use Intangibility and his high move number to lure his attackers into engagement with some "meat-sheild" kids with the hope they'd get killed allowing the Spirit of Vengeance to be unleashed. While this baiting took a long time, it did represent the aloofness of the Spectre. Plus, I could have sped the game up a bit by using a strategy I'll talk about on my last response.

- FUN COMPETITIVE TEST/ Consider whether or not the design was fun to play against.
Pass. Both of the armies I pitted against Spectre made him their main target and it was fun to slowly whittle him down.

- DRAFTING TEST/ Consider whether or not this design is worth drafting.
Pass. It will be great fun to build armies that best take advantage of Spectre's powers. I'm going to try a Winter Soldier & Spectre team next (see my last response again for why).

- USAGE TEST/ Consider whether or not all of the powers on this card were used or at least usable.
Pass. All powers were used during my two playtests. The Green Lantern team did do a good job minimzing Spectre's use of his powers. However, when he was able to access them, they were effective.

- STRATEGY TEST/ Consider whether or not the design offers any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game.
The one thing I did not do with Spectre, but considered was to kill one of his teammates to access Spirit of Vengeance. I think that is legal rulewise, and while I'm not sure if it was intended I like having that choice. It makes Spectre, like Gorilla-Man, a more fun unit as you always have the option of 'offing' one of your own to whaloop your opponent. Plus, it's that aloof, jerky, I-know-best kind of thing that Spectre does from time-to-time.

Army Test
- Does it pass
, Yes or No? Yes.
- What should be the unit's point value? 475-500.
- Give a brief overview. This was a fun game. The Lanterns seemed to control the first half by sticking to their strategy of using Hal to wear down the Spectre. Twice Spectre’s team had to work out a new plan to cope with the Lantern’s success. Hal was brutal to the Spectre not letting him use his Withering Gaze and the Lanterns tried hard to take him out first thereby negate the Spirit of Vengeance power. As a result, Spectre never used either this or his Withering Gaze. However, while Spectre only dealt out 2 wounds, he did wear down the Lanterns, costing them enough power batteries to give Batman & family a chance when he died. Furthermore, Spectre dominated the game being the major focus of the Lantern game plan. Truthfully, I thought Hal had a good chance of beating Spoiler & Speedy at the end, but the gamble of rolling 6 dice to get 1 shield just didn’t pay off.

Map: Mountain Spring.

Units: Spectre (500) & Batman II (250), Robin – TD (120), Robin – DG (100), Speedy – MD (80), Spoiler (50) = 1100 VSHal Jordan (350), Guy Gardner (320) Kilowog (310) Green Lantern Construct (120) = 1100

Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
- Does it pass
, Yes or No? Yes.
- What should be the unit's point value? 500.
- Give a brief overview. That was a long game. In the end, Spectre’s strategy didn’t pan out – though it came very close. It was just too hard to get the creatures to kill a kid. Frankenstein & Abomination didn’t feel threatened enough to abandon their pursuit of Spectre. They’d just take the leaving engagement attacks (especially Frankie whose healing factor worked wonders) and hope to kill a Power Pack member on their last OM. Back in the late 90s the New Jersey Devils hockey team began playing a strategy called “the trap”, which was essentially to never cross the center line unless you were very sure you could make a solid attack. It was effective but very boring to watch. This game felt a bit like watching the Devils play again, as Spectre kept floating off until he had a chance to lower a devastating attack. In Round 11, I think I should have made a different choice that would have helped Spectre win - I'll point it out when we get to it. I think the strategy I used might work better, and be more entertaining, on a 1000 point game, where the meat shields offer enough threat that they can’t be ignored.

Map: Mountain Spring.

Units: Spectre (500), Zero-G (80), Energizer (50), Lightspeed (40) & Moloid x 1 (10) = 680 VS. Frankenstein (320) & Abomination (360) = 680

Spoiler Alert!