View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:18 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: Louisville Monthly Tournament December 1st.

5*-0, 1st place, with Quahon, Eltahale, Bluescales** x2, Raelin RotV
Apparently the key to success is bringing an army I haven't tested and/or don't think will do well.

Game 1: Lightning beats Fire
vs Arrow Gruts x4, Mimring, Krug, Swog Rider x4
This was one of the many army ideas I had written down, and not one I wanted to face. Our map had start zones split by a river, so with only 9 figures I placed all of mine to one side. Mimring got off one good Fireline at 4 of my guys (though everyone but Quahon blocked) before going down. Then Krug came up but I was able to snipe at him with Lightning Breath as he approached then finish him with a big normal attack before he was able to do much damage. Lightning Breath was just brutal to the swarm of Gruts and Swogs.
Win, 1-0

Game 2: Lightning beats Ice
vs Knights x3, Nilfheim, Gilbert, Eldgrim
This was on an ice map, and I'd been on the correct end of Nilfheim defending his home turf once before, so it don't look good. Though I was pretty sure my Bonding could outdo Nilf, it was more or less a game of "whose dragon dies first". Well, Nilf killed Raelin with only 2 Ice Shards, but Quahon was able to kill him first. With 3 squads of Knights to face, I still didn't think it would be an easy win. But in the end, good Lightning Breath rolls against poor Knight defense meant Eltahale stayed at home.
Win, 2-0

Game 3: Lightning beats Acid
vs Axegrinders x3, Braxas, Airborne Elite
Despite all the Dwarves, I thought I had a good matchup here since so many of his points were tied up in Braxas who wasn't that big a threat to me. His Airborne dropped first round, but only managed one hit on Raelin (and maybe a Greenscale) before Quahon/Greenscales chased them all down. Then came the Dwarves, but I was able to regroup. Good Lightning Breath took them down to 1 before Braxas joined the fight and defeated Quahon head-to-head (Quahon had just used the Kelda glyph which was on my opponent's side). But Braxas had to face Eltahale at 2 Life. The Queen danced around for a while before finally jumping in for an Acid Breath that thankfully failed. Eltahale went the distance.
Win, 3-0

Game 4: Lightning beats Steampunk
vs Axegrinders x4, Mok, Guilty
Great, even MORE Dwarves, not to mention the giant freaking GIANT I didn't have a good answer for. Sometimes, however, luck is just on your side. He took a turn to set up Mok's guns while I took a turn to set up Raelin (who had a REALLY good perch in just 1 move). With the Move glyph on his side (why are all the good glyphs always on my opponent's side??), he had an early Dwarf poised to climb onto height vs Quahon. Though I wanted to kill the one on the glyph, I had to Breathe on it…and rolled 1 skull. And he whiffed! First lucky break. Then I rolled a 3 for Initiative. And her rolled a 2! Second lucky break. I got a couple chains of Lightning between Mok/Dwarves, and Gunner Casualties never kicked in, putting Mok at half Life before he really got into the fray. Mok went down first, but Dwarves eventually broke through and killed Quahon, too. Eltahale came through, though, and brutalized the remaining squad and a half and Guilty in a few short turns (mostly with a couple good Thunder Rams!).
Win, 4-0; tournament winner at this point

*Since we were running Rolling Rumble for those knocked out of the single elimination, one of those players asked me for a game (if he could win, he might win the Rolling Rumble). I obliged and fought a close battle against Blade Gruts x4, Grimnak, Ornak, Tornak, Nerak. Eltahale pulled out the win against Ornak, with just 3 Life left.

**They were Greenscales, but I'll be buying a couple more squads to paint as Bluescales.

Also, after watching Tommy/Sawyer's game, Sawyer needs the title "Mok Blocked".

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13