View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:41 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I'd like to nominate another of my customs, the Hoplitron:

The Figure is the "Dark Trooper Phase I" From the Star Wars miniatures line. It is very cheap and widely available.

The figure is large, but the base is D3-sized, so the figure fits on a single hex without rebasing. They are pretty small for a large figure, but bigger than the Ice Troll for sure.

Shield Push is a variation on many other movement powers. Note that
  1. it can be used on both friends and foes, and
  2. it "moves" the figure one space - it does not place the figure. So you cannot move the figure up a level, only same-level or down, and you can't move a figure onto heavy snow or slippery ice.
Melee Soulborg Bonding is another wyrmling-style bonding power. The only figures that are currently available to bond with the Hoplitron this way are other Hoplitrons, Major X17, and DW7k. I have designed another figure with this same power, and another melee soulborg hero, but neither of those are really necessary to evaluate this figure.

I haven't found these guys to be effective bread and butter figures en masse, but they are handy as shock troops to deliver a few big hits and clear a choke point on a map. They also tend to work better when mixed in with small/medium figures, so they can push their allies forward as well as push their enemies back. Their large immunities also make them useful in armies with small/medium figures.

Thanks in advance to the judges for considering my design.