View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

When I found myself using dok's Zettian Infantry to help test some of my maps I knew they were ready for a vote.

They start out with a fairly straight forward ability-Utgar Soulborg Bonding-but really it just leads the way into the rest of their design and abilities. They're slow, with a short range, but those limitations can be improved by Warden 816 and Deathwalker 9000, respectively, both of who are (conveniently ) Utgar Soulborgs. They also have a low base attack, but with their turn supplemented by a fourth attack (often Rapid Fire Special Attack or Explosion Special Attack), suddenly their offensive output becomes quite respectable.

More importantly, Utgar Soulborg Bonding allows them to effectively use their designer power-Circuitry Replacement. Honestly, I love the excitement of rolling defense dice for a Deathwalker, and I love that Circuitry Replacement helps the DW's survivability without neutering that classic Heroscape experience.

I found that they weren't very useful as a stand-alone army core, but there are plenty of bonding options to build around, and ZIx2+Hero leaves a lot of points with which to get creative.

The chosen minis mesh well with Heroscape sculpts, and aren't (to me, at least) so overtly "Star Wars-y" (they're not Storm Troopers, for example) that it's distracting.

All-in-all, the Zettian Infantry offer a fun and thematic boost to some of Heroscape's original legends without being overpowering or removing the thrilling peril of a "Deathwalker roll."

I vote YES to induct dok's Zettian Infantry into the Soldiers of Vlahalla.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)