View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:53 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Green Wyrmling by killercactus

Game Play

I love playing Wyrmling Armies, and when I saw that kc had created a 'baby Charos' I was very excited to try it out. Fledgling Counterstrike is great, it meshes very will with the other Wyrmling's 'downgraded' versions of their adult counterpart powers.

The issue I had going in with this unit was its defense of 5. With that as my greatest concern I paired the GW with RotV Raelin and got astouding results... too astounding. With numbers and proper placement the Green Wyrmlings can completely halt a melee army. Backed by Raelin their Defense jumps to 7, add flying which allows them to take height easily, make it 8, and if a Defense Glyph happens to be around make it 9 defense for a 30pt unit that has Counterstrike.

You can reach these kind of gaudy defensive numbers with other Counterstrikers like the Izumi and Tagawa Samurai, but the difference is that neither can fly and they are both also a unique squad of 3. As a Common Hero the Green Wyrmling has no such restriction and when I added 5 or 6 of them to my armies, that is when they really started to take over.

Cost
As is, I think the GW needs a good points bump (+20?). At 30pts it was easy for me to put 6 of them in a 5-600pt army and also grab 4 squads of 4th Mass and keep their Valiant Defense.

One army that was fun, yet powerful was GWx6, Raelin, 4thx4. Send the GWs and Raelin to reek as much havoc as possible, and once Raelin falls the 4th get their defense bonus.

This Juggernaut easily outmatched Knight Armies (for me) time after time.

Models
Perfect model used for this unit.

Availability
Relatively easy to get, though a bit on the expensive side, $2.50 - $4.00 before shipping.

Conclusion
I really like this unit, but I found it to be too powerful against some of the better builds in the game. I think a drop to 4 defense would move a long way towards make it more balanced, and possibly even a +5 bump in points with the -1D.

I vote NO to induct the Green Wyrmling into the SoV.

-insert signature here-