View Single Post

Old March 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Tournament Armies Played

I might as well join the fun. I'm the sort of player that would rather see how well I can do with an unusual army than go for the win with a top-tier army.

Tree Town Open '07 (530 pts)
The Einar Imperium x 2
SotM Raelin
Kiova
Deathreavers x 1
3 - 3

I knew going in that this would be weak to dragons and samurai. I fortunately didn't run into any dragons, but unexpectedly I ran into three samurai armies. I defeated Gilbert/Knights, Arrow Gruts, and Frenzy armies.

Tree Town Open '08 (540 pts)
Marrden Hounds x 3
Su-Bak-Na
Elite Onyx Vipers
Isamu
2 - 3

I played against Soulborg three times, and lost three times. Go figure. Defeated a Vydar ranged pod and ... something else (too long ago to remember).

Tree Town Open '09 (510 pts)
Gorillinators x 3
Nakita Agents
Laglor
Otonashi
3 - 3

Faced Braxas once and Nilfheim twice, each game a loss. Defeated Glads/Blasts, 4th/Sentinels, and Protectors.

Rochester Rally '09 (615 pts)
special rule: once per round, may use 'X' order marker as a wildcard instead of any normal order marker
Saylind
Jotun
Deathwalker 8000
Deathwalker 7000
Deadeye Dan
Marcu Esenwein
2 - 2

Won by luck, lost by luck. Highlights (and lowlights): summoning Jotun into the middle of a Vydar ranged pod, a game-deciding Jotun-Krug duel (Jotun wins!), a game-deciding Marcu-James Murphy duel (Marcu wins!), rolling a '1' with DW7K against Major Q10, and rolling a '20' with Deadeye against Braxas.

06/15/10

Twin Cities Team Tournament '10 (teams of 2, general-specific, 400pts each, 25pt overlap)
my army:
Shades of Bleakewood x 2
Phantom Knights x 3
my partner's army (Heirloom):
Major Q9
Microcorp Agents x 2
5 - 0

Played a lot of tough opponents, but Q9's defenses managed to hold up long enough in each battle to bring us to 1st place. Two Soul Devours, both in the same game.

Tree Town Open '10 (525 pts)
Quasatch Hunters x 3
Iron Golem x 1
SotM Raelin
2 - 4

Quasatch, not so good. Three melee units for 100pts is tough to win with.

05/02/11

Gamer's Reunion Championship '11 (520 pts)
Zombies of Morindan x 7
Krav Maga Agents
2 - 3

I played against Wait Then Fire three times, lost three times. The final game should have been a win though: my opponent was down to Kato Katsuro, Raelin SotM, and a couple Ashigaru Harquebus while I had most of my zombies left when time was called. One more round...

06/20/11

Twin Cities Team Tournament '11
(teams of 2, general-specific, 400pts each, 25pt overlap)
my army:
Protectors of Ullar x 3
Atlaga
Phantom Knights x 3
Shurrak
Isamu
3 - 2

2nd place, despite going 3-2. Lost to the championship team twice, consisting of dwarves and sentinels. Those darn Sentinels are a pain to bring down.

08/11/2011

GenCon 2011 Main Event (500pts)
Warforged Soldiers x 4
Heirloom
Atlaga
2 - 3

Not a bad army; should have done better. One game called on time, and it came down to whether or not my opponent's Mezzo would survive on the lava field. The dice rolled his way.

10/17/11

Tree Town Open '11 (470 pts)
Sacred Band x 4
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Parmenio
Raelin the Kyrie Warrior (RotV)
3 - 3

The army felt surprisingly strong, beating Marro Drones, Macdirks, and Glads/Blasts. Two losses came from getting glyph-screwed, with my side of the map having weak glyphs (Initiative, Unique Attack +1) while the other side had the Attack +1 glyph. 4-man range squads with that glyph are brutal. The other loss I never had a chance on; bad matchup on a bad map.

02/25/12

Heroes B Ware '11
(470 pts)
Kurrok the Elementalist
Fire Elemental x 10
4 - 0

I was able to scrimp and borrow enough Fire Elementals to pull together a true firestorm. Definitely the strongest army I've taken to a tournament and it went 4-0, though most of my games were down to the wire. Beat Knights, 10th/Romans, Death Chasers, and Minions.

04/30/12

Austin MN Heroscape Tournament '12 (Marvel allowed, 450 pts)
Goblin Cutters x 3
Horned Skull Brutes x 4
2-2

Of the four games, three were bad matchups: Glads/Blasts (Cyberclaw negates Scurry and Barge Into Battle), Captain America + 4th Mass, and Zelrig. I only won the Zelrig fight by luck; the last Brute did the last 4 points of damage to Zelrig by himself.

08/20/2012

GenCon 2012 Main Event (450pts)
Anubian Wolves x 5
Khosumet
2 - 3

More fun than competitive. Defeated Axegrinders and Warforged/PKs. Should have defeated a Minion army, but Marcu and Isamu rocked me. Highlight of the day was a 9-skull attack on Mogrimm.

GenCon 2012 Team Tournament (550pts total, teammates must be within 50pts)
my army:
Shades of Bleakwoode x 2
Marro Warriors
Major Q9
Fen Hydra
1 - 2

We had to leave early; our carpool was leaving and the tournament was running late. Apologies to all who were in the event. Won the first game against Zelrig/Kravs and Axegrinders. Second game came down to the last order marker when time was called: Q9 with height at long range shooting at the last PK to win on points -- but no luck. Third game infectedsloth's Heirloom annihilated us.

09/22/12

Heroes B Ware '12 (Marvel allowed, 440 pts)
Venoc Vipers x 7
Venoc Warlord
2 - 2

Two bad matchups, 4th and Zombies. Defeated Dwarves and Mezzos.

10/20/2012

Tree Town Open '12 (555 pts, Marvel allowed)
Hatamoto Taro (yeah, you read that right)
Tagawa Samurai Archers x 5
Marcu Esenwein
2 - 2

Defeated Firestorm and Laglor/Krav/Blasts/Glads. The later was primarily due to Raelin, after being sadly summoned away via glyph, lived far too long and took up much of my opponent's attention. Lost to 10th/Kravs/Raelin, though I did better against them than I expected. Captain America ripped me to shreds in another game.

08/16/2013

GenCon 2013 Main Event (440pts)
Fen Hydra
Tandros Kreel
Kaemon Awa
2 - 3

I decided to try an all-heroes army, since I'll never be able to in local upper midwest tournaments due the powerful glyphs used. Unfortunately three losses, one due to a critical mistake on my part (against Moltenclaw), one due to terrible defense dice on my part, and one due to incredible attack dice on my opponent's part. Defeated elf wizards and Deathchasers.

9/14/2013

Heroes B Ware '13 (480pts, Delta W.1.12, Marvel allowed)
Raelin the Kyrie Warrior (SotM)
Empress Kiova
The Einar Imperium x 2
Elite Onyx Vipers
3 - 1

In Delta pricing, the Einar Imperium are really affordable. I beat minions, dwarves, and mezzodemons. I lost to another EI army, but it wasn't due to the EI and it wasn't a game I should have lost. I was completely in control of the game until Yodaking's unboosted Kozuke counterstruck a full squad of my EI in a single turn, then slashed and counterstuck Raelin to death after that. Oh, dice.

10/19/2013

Tree Town Open '13 (460pts, Marvel allowed)
Marro Hive
Marro Drones x 6
3 - 2

TTO does not allow for many viable army builds given their high-powered glyph pool. This year, since Codeman forgot the glyphs, so instead each glyph spot had a penny on each glyph spot. It got flipped the first time it was stepped on: heads = +1 attack and tails = remove from game. Random and squad-loving (especially Minions). I beat Death Chasers, Romans, and Mezzos+Cyprien. I lost to Microcorps with height in their starting zone and to a single Minion that just wouldn't die.

TOTAL RECORD:
48-43

Last edited by Scytale; October 24th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.