Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Best DC characters to buy? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=54937)

Ericth74 June 17th, 2018 06:40 PM

Best DC characters to buy?

I'm looking to add some DC characters to my collection. Outside of the Justice League my knowledge is kind of limited. I thought I'd buy:

Batman (not sure which)
Robin
Superman (again not sure)
Wonder Woman
Flash
Solomon Grundy
Joker (#1 maybe)

and possibly Two-Face

I'm looking for 5 or 6 (maybe 10?)more, any suggestions on figures that you use often or that you think are important? Any squads I should get?

Thanks in advance.

TREX June 17th, 2018 07:08 PM

Re: Best DC characters to buy?

models that are cheap. Chances are it wont change your shipping and you'll have fun with them anyway. I just go on there and buy as many cheap figures as I can get a hold of then print out their cards.

Ericth74 June 17th, 2018 09:10 PM

@TREX you're right. I forget that most figures are .50 to a buck. For $20 to 30 dollars you can get quite a lot.

L0B5T3R June 18th, 2018 06:14 AM

My highest recommendations would be LexCorp Security, 5th Precint Beat Cops, The Riddler and Amanda Waller. I would also suggest Oracle, Green Lantern John Stewart, and Amazo. I really, really like these designs as both useful and fun.

If you ever have questions on good proxies let me know. For instance, I have 9 beat cops and none of them are official but cops you might not find on your own.

Ericth74 June 18th, 2018 09:07 AM

Thanks @lob5t3r

japes June 18th, 2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericth74 (Post 2197545)
I'm looking to add some DC characters to my collection. Outside of the Justice League my knowledge is kind of limited. I thought I'd buy:

Batman (not sure which)
Robin
Superman (again not sure)
Wonder Woman
Flash
Solomon Grundy
Joker (#1 maybe)

and possibly Two-Face

I'm looking for 5 or 6 (maybe 10?)more, any suggestions on figures that you use often or that you think are important? Any squads I should get?

Thanks in advance.

Well it's not important which one you get. For instance...Just get the Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Robin figure you like the most and then use that figure for all their cards...That's what most of us do anyway.

Plus I second the get what you can in one order since shipping is usually the cost of a couple mini's anyways so each small order you make is essentially robbing you of a few mini's. My son and I typically do 1 or 2 orders a year. Usually our big order is early January when he decides to spend some of his Christmas money. I do a match of what ever he decides to spend and we generally spend about $50-100 total and pull in several hundred figures (except this past year when we decided to start our HOSS collection...those are pricier than we were used to). We've done that for about 3 years in a row now.

weebaer June 18th, 2018 02:15 PM

I love some of the DC cards.

other than the JL, I'd add
1. Darksied
2. Hawkgirl and Hawkman (best 450 point duo out there imo, unless you count Deadpool Harley quinn and bob,Agent of Hydra as a duo...lol)
3. Parasite (sculpt is awesome too)
4. Merlyn (lots of fun you can do with this guy and some attack buffs)
5. Deathstroke (he's just a really cool card)
6. Harley quinn (just so useful with any insane hero, I personally never field Carnage or Deadpool without Harley)
7. Deadshot is always a good pickup for any team
8. Green Arrow and Black Canary (add Robin into the mix and it gets really good really fast. Nothing like 3 activations with tons of dice in one turn)
9. Bane
10. Lobo (gotta have this guy, so much fun)

Honorable mentions: Killer croc, Gorilla Grodd, Solomon Grundy, Frankenstein (a must if you have other figs that are creatures)

Yodaking June 19th, 2018 03:02 AM

First up I just want to echo my colleagues recommendations about proxying and picking up a bunch of cheap $1 and less minis. Only thing I would add is that you should maybe look at some of the cards of guys you don't know much about just to make sure you are not buying 1 figure that is synergy heavy without getting any of the figures they were meant to be played with. Not many cards are so narrow, with most DC cards able to play with Marvel or Indy cards quite easily, but a few are and you don't want to have just 1 when 4-5 are needed.

Now with that out of the way, I wanted to put together my own top 10 DC draft recommendations list but I found it hard to limit it to just 10. So this list reflects the top 10 DC cards/combos/armies I find myself using the most often, leaving out my favorites from the core Justice League guys (ie. Flash (Barry Allen), Green Lantern (John Stewart), Superman II & III, Wonder Woman I, Martian Manhunter I & II, Red Tornado, Batman III, Cyborg II) since you mentioned them already. Listed in no particular order.

1. Azrael, Batman (Terry McGinnis), Huntress, & Robin (Tim Drake) <my favorite vigilante + sidekick combos, the vigialnte's are pretty good picks without Robin too>
2. Hawkgirl, Hawkman (Katar Hol), Hawkmen x3, & Atom (Ray Palmer) <fun 800 point army once you figure out how to make the dance work>
3. Green Arrow (Oliver) & Red Arrow <archer bonding for 300 points>
4. Deadshot <very solid 150 point ranged figure that really likes stat boosters>
5. Nightwing, Raven, Starfire, Wonder Girl, Aqualad, & Cyborg I <1000 point Teen Titans army>
6. Frankenstein & Solomon Grundy <creature bonding, add more creatures to army from Marvel>
7. Gorilla City Warriors x3 & Gorilla Grodd <600 point mini army>
8. Weather Wizard <nice 100 point filler figure with useful powers for most armies>
9. Joker I, Firefly, & Harley Quinn I <insane bonding, really like adding in Green Goblin and/or Deadpool from Marvel here>
10. Lex Corp Security x2 <criminal bonding, just add criminals>

Honorable Mention: Comedian & Ozymandias (they don't have any synergy together), I left them off the list because while they are DC cards they were (until recently) a separate universe and not part of the traditional DC universe. Both are solid, fun cards easy to add to a wide variety of armies and be happy with what they do for you.

Ericth74 June 19th, 2018 07:48 AM

@japes @weebaer @Yodaking thank you all for the really helpful info!

redstang June 19th, 2018 11:30 AM

Don't forget Martian Manhunter for your JL team. I always find him to be a solid play with either the 300 point card or the 420 point card as a centerpiece.

Xael Raymand June 19th, 2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericth74 (Post 2197733)
@japes @weebaer @Yodaking thank you all for the really helpful info!

I agree with pretty much everything that was said. I will add though that I love the Justice Society of America build (also a great comic book run if your looking for something). It is one of those builds though that you need a good amount of pieces.

1. Hawkman (Carter Hall) - kind of the Lynchpin of this build
2. Flash (Jay Garrick) - Defensive boosts
3. Hourman & Liberty Belle - Provide their own bonding, Liberty Belle can also be one of 3 cards which can be useful for draft purposes.

Those just happen to be my favorites from that build but there are several other good ones that either provide some good synergy, attack power, Range. Whatever the occasion may call for.

Scapemage June 22nd, 2018 09:49 PM

Welcome, Ericth! Many lovely sentiments have already been said, and I agree. Unless you plan to play in any C3G tournaments, finding the cheapest minis is usually the go-to solution. It looks like you have an excellent opportunity to learn more about a lot of characters. I knew so so little about superheroes, especially Marvel, when I joined this project, and nowadays I feel relatively knowledgeable despite reading rather few actual comics in my days.