Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

JC McMinis September 17th, 2011 06:56 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Yup I agree as well. Taeblewalker the ball is in your court.

Taeblewalker September 23rd, 2011 04:43 AM

Alright, then!

Randolph Carter
Literature (the writings of H.P. Lovecraft)

He should have a power called The Silver Key. It could let him change into another of his identities. Here is a first draft:

MANIFESTATION
At the start of the game, choose a small or medium unique hero from your army to be Carter's Manifestation. This figure does not start the game on the battlefield. If the Manifestation is destroyed, Carter's figure remains on this Army Card for the remainder of the game.

THE SILVER KEY
When you reveal a numbered order marker on this army card, you may also reveal the "X" order marker on this army card to activate The Silver Key. When you activate The Silver Key, place the Manifestation on the space occupied by Carter and place Carter's figure on this Army Card. At the end of the round, place Carter's figure on the space occupied by the chosen hero.

mac122 September 23rd, 2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeblewalker (Post 1486077)
Alright, then!

Randolph Carter
Literature (the writings of H.P. Lovecraft)

He should have a power called The Silver Key. It could let him change into another of his identities. Here is a first draft:

MANIFESTATION
At the start of the game, choose a small or medium unique hero from your army to be Carter's Manifestation. This figure does not start the game on the battlefield. If the Manifestation is destroyed, Carter's figure remains on this Army Card for the remainder of the game.

THE SILVER KEY
When you reveal a numbered order marker on this army card, you may also reveal the "X" order marker on this army card to activate The Silver Key. When you activate The Silver Key, place the Manifestation on the space occupied by Carter and place Carter's figure on this Army Card. At the end of the round, place Carter's figure on the space occupied by the chosen hero.

If nothing else, Heroes of Fiction is showing me how many things I don't know.;)

What benefit would Carter get from using the Silver Key? It would need to be significant to warrant drafting a hero that can't be on the board at the same time. Wound removal? Each time Carter or his Manifestation swap places remove X wound(s)? Should there be a trigger for the Silver Key if Carter is attacked? What about allowing Carter to Manifest a previously destroyed Hero? With my lack of knowledge of HP Lovecraft, I realize some of these questions may be off base, so please bear with me.

Edit: if it fits the theme, Manifesting previously destroyed heroes would be a really cool and powerful ability. Start the game with one Hero on Carter's card, but as the game progresses, any destroyed Heroes are placed there as well. Silver Key allows you to choose which one to Manifest.

Taeblewalker September 23rd, 2011 11:45 AM

I like your idea, mac. It would be like the revenant tome.

Lamaclown September 24th, 2011 04:38 PM

Sorry I haven't chimed in before now.

First, I love HP Lovecraft! Randolph Carter is an interesting choice form amongst the many characters in Lovcraftian literature. I like it.

I was wondering about Silver Key and Manifestations. Since Carter and Zkauba found each other repugnant (opposite sides so to speak), what about a Mind Shackle power with a twist?

Quote:

THE SILVER KEY
After moving and before attacking, you may choose any unique hero within 4 clear sight spaces of Randolph Carter and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a X or higher, take control of the chosen figure and that figure’s army card. Place Randolph Carter on this card and place the chosen hero on the space occupied by Randolph Carter. Remove any Order Markers on the chosen hero's card. If the chosen hero receives enough wounds to be destroyed, roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 1-X, remove the destroyed figure from the battlefield. If you roll an X+1 or higher, remove the destroyed figure from the battlefield and replace it with Randoplh Carter.

It may be overly complex but basically, you mind shackle the opponent's figure and place it where RC was and put RC on his card. If the mind shackled fig is destroyed later, roll the d20 again. If you roll high enough, RC can come back, if you don't roll high enough, RC is destroyed with the mind shackled fig.

Not as simple as TW's first draft, just another thought.

Again, good choice, TW!

P.S.
I am leaving for vacation tomorrow. We will be in a cabin in the Smokey Mountains so I am not sure about internet access. Hopefully I will have something, but there is a chance I will be gone for an entire week.

JC McMinis September 24th, 2011 04:52 PM

What story is he in, I have read a little Lovecraft, but do not think I have read the one he is in.

Lamaclown September 24th, 2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1486946)
What story is he in, I have read a little Lovecraft, but do not think I have read the one he is in.

He is a recurring character in several stories...
The Statement of Randolph Carter
The Unnamable
The Silver Key
The Dream Quest of Kadath

and then two collaborative efforts...
Through the Gates of the Silver Key
Out of the Aeons

The two Silver Key tales are the ones providing the inspiration for the above abilities.

JC McMinis September 24th, 2011 05:23 PM

Cool I will have to try and find them.

Lamaclown September 24th, 2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmcminis (Post 1486951)
Cool I will have to try and find them.

H.P. Lovecraft

You should find what you need here if you want to come up to speed with Randolph Carter.

tcglkn September 24th, 2011 07:33 PM

Ah, I wish I knew anything about this character. I'll take time to comment on the mechanics/power level when we get a full draft up. Sorry guys.

Taeblewalker September 24th, 2011 11:19 PM

I'm happy to give everyone time to get up to speed on Randolph Carter. If you go to youtube and look up The Statement of Randolph Carter, you will get several live action films, varying from good to excellent.

dfonse September 28th, 2011 06:31 PM

I was thinking, what if the manifestation was its own card like retchets of bogdan. Therefore, it would be less complicated.